Any Housley Or Houseleys Out There?

My father Frederick Housley cost clerk at British Steel married to Mary Nolan both passed away now , but my line includes Fred James Housley and Maud Crane 1898 to 1971 electrician of Shiregreen, Arthur J Housley and Sarah Ann Gilbank 1865 to 1913 steel dresser of Darnell, Henry Housley and Martha ? 1822 to 1899 (steel melter) of Ecclesfield, George Housley and Shudannah Nailor (nail maker?) Salford Manchester.

Harry Housley 1895 to 1942 (Fred James brother) ex rugby player was mentioned KOYLI regiment history & was beheaded by Japanese in Burma. History book illustration shows him with a Japanes head under each arm just before.

I am having trouble getting further back, any help would be appreciated or I can help you

Johnfh

Hi johnfh - welcome to the Forum! Just a snippet - it seems Henry Housley, b. Ecclesfield 1821 married Martha BROOK in 1848. The 1871 census finds them at 66 Freedom Hill, Attercliffe with children Maria, Mary, Henry Edward, Charles Frederick and Arthur James. I can PM you my email address if you'd like a JPEG of the census page..:)

Edited by hillsbro

Hi Hillsbro is PM

Thanks for the info. I did not know Marthas surname so that is one nugget extra.

Yes, I do not know the the protocol for e-mail, and what isPM?

Looking at your address, you are only 12 miles away, I live in Crowle. Are you a relative?

Thanks Johnfh

Hi johnfh - a 'PM' is a Private Message; now that you have 5 posts you can send them as well as receiving them. I will send you my email address via PM; if you email me I can reply with a JPEG of the 1871 census page (or anything else I can help with)..:)

Yes, we aren't far apart, though I've only lived in Ashby for three years and we still have a home in Sheffield. I'm not a relative (as far as I know, but one branch of my ancestry came from Althorpe/Keadby) but I quite enjoy family history.

Henry dies 1899 154 Basford Street--Martha poss 1907

They were at 130 Freedom Hill in 1881 but that was sold 1886

Hi retep - yes, that looks like Martha who died aged 81 in Sheffield in Jan-Mar 1907. Henry was baptised at Ecclesfield Church on 7 September 1821; his parents were evidently George Houseley and Susannah Foster who were married at the same church on 24 November 1813. Then the trail runs cold (at least for now) as there were two George Houseleys and two Susannah Fosters born in the same area around the same time..:(

Hi retep - yes, that looks like Martha who died aged 81 in Sheffield in Jan-Mar 1907. Henry was baptised at Ecclesfield Church on 7 September 1821; his parents were evidently George Houseley and Susannah Foster who were married at the same church on 24 November 1813. Then the trail runs cold (at least for now) as there were two George Houseleys and two Susannah Fosters born in the same area around the same time..:(

I have George and Susannah living Duke Street Park

buried St John Park

Also will of Bernard 1814-1867, proved by oath -Henry of Freedom Hill.

Yes, the 1861 census shows George as a widower in Duke Street, while in 1851 the couple were in Moorfields. As both were born at Ecclesfield according to the census they must be the right people as they are the only Ecclesfield-born couple with the right names in Sheffield. Their ages are given in 1851 as George 59 and Susannah 62, with son Bernard 36. So if George was born in 1791/92 and Susannah 1788/89, this neatly fits information from the I.G.I., as a George "Howsley" was christened at Ecclesfield on 16 October 1791 and a Susannah Foster was christened there on 26 December 1788. So George's father was Bernard Howsley and Susannah's was George Foster.

Yes, the 1861 census shows George as a widower in Duke Street, while in 1851 the couple were in Moorfields. As both were born at Ecclesfield according to the census they must be the right people as they are the only Ecclesfield-born couple with the right names in Sheffield. Their ages are given in 1851 as George 59 and Susannah 62, with son Bernard 36. So if George was born in 1791/92 and Susannah 1788/89, this neatly fits information from the I.G.I., as a George "Howsley" was christened at Ecclesfield on 16 October 1791 and a Susannah Foster was christened there on 26 December 1788. So George's father was Bernard Howsley and Susannah's was George Foster.

Correct,

1851 notes,

GEORGE 59 ECCLESFIELD 2339-207F -nail maker SO-BNRD snr

Susannah 62 Ecclesfield nee Foster

Bernard 36? Ecclesfield

Maria 33 married Ecclesfield--married name Brooksbank

Sarah 25 d/i/l Wadsley nee Morton

Charles Brooksbank 33 s/i/l Barnsley possible bro martin4677-22f in 1871

George ? Brooksbank ? g/s Sheffield

Mathew Henry Brooksbank ? g/s Sheffield

Sarah Ann Housley 25 visitor Swinton--nee Sarah Ann Lewis Owen

Elizabeth 4 g/d Kilnhurst

all at Moorfield Sheffield

Hi Retep and Hillsbro

Blimey, so much info so soon.

I had Georges wife as Shudannah which threw me completely, I was trying to read a certificate.

I didn't follow the 1851 notes above from Sarah 25 down, as I had Maria, b 1821 and George and Henry b 1826 presumeably twins 1841 census piec e 584 Book9 Folio17 Page 26. Do you think that is correct?

Thankyou both for all that lot, I can now chase Bernards line now.

regards Johnfh

Hi johnfh - I have drawn up a basic family tree showing seven generations back to Bernard Housley and George Foster in the 1700s. The chart is in MS Word format - if you'd like a copy PM me an email address; I might be able to improve and expand it a little before sending it..:)

Hi John!

Jacqueline Marriott (Coulson) here. Hope you are keeping okay.