Anyone from Wallace Rd or Pickering Rd Parkwood Springs

Bizarrely, the footbridge over the railway from the top of Wallace road features in the Italian film from the 1960's "La Ragazza con la Pistola". The sequence is 30 or 40 minutes in when the action moves to Sheffield. The British section of the film features Tony Booth, probably best known for his appearance in "Til Death Do Us Part".

A few local people appear in the background.

The entire film is available on YouTube and it's easy to skip through to the nostalgic Sheffield action.

Does anyone remember and recall the name of the fish & chip shop on Douglas Road 1930's - 1940's and if there are any photos of it in any books eg.... JR Wrigley's etc....

Lizzie Purcell had it in 1940's

Clara Danks before her.

Coal fired chip range.

the only image would be in the film Wings Of Mystery

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-wings-of-mystery-1963-online

Just before the bridge in the car chase.

Edited by retep
added

my nan and granddad where from Parkwood springs 62 pickering road Lawrence and may taylor dad was frank also had sisters Nancy joan and Barbara

Lizzie Purcell had it in 1940's

Clara Danks before her.

Coal fired chip range.

the only image would be in the film Wings Of Mystery

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-wings-of-mystery-1963-online

Just before the bridge in the car chase.

Cracking little kids film. I saw it in the early sixties I think it was on the bill with Summer Holiday.

Thanks folks :) What a lovely film I assume the chip shop is the one at the right side of the screen before the cars go under the bridge? I'm still hoping to come across a photo of the chip shop when Clara Danks was there which was from around WW1 to about the 1940's. Can anyone help with more accurate dates please.

Thanks folks :) What a lovely film I assume the chip shop is the one at the right side of the screen before the cars go under the bridge? I'm still hoping to come across a photo of the chip shop when Clara Danks was there which was from around WW1 to about the 1940's. Can anyone help with more accurate dates please.

Think the chippy was just a lock up, Clara and George lived higher up at 37, she had the chippy from at least 1911, died in 56.

Britain From Above

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/search?keywords=EAW005030&country=england&year=all

last house before bridge.

Edited by retep

my nan and granddad where from Parkwood springs 62 pickering road Lawrence and may taylor dad was frank also had sisters Nancy joan and Barbara

Hi tazz64 your dad Frank was in the same class as me at Hillfoot School,didn,t he have a younger sibling or relation nicknamed "Jabba",a big lad with dark curly hair?.If I remember rightly your dad lived opposite Len Askem and his neighbor Terry Wardle!.

Edited by old tup
More info remembered!.

I'm late to the party here as i was looking for old pics of PWS.

I am a DeAbaitua of the DeAbaituas who lived on Doughlas, Vale and Pickering Road.  Lynne DeAbaitua is my Auntiy, Anita is my Mum (i took my Mum's maiden name) and there was their Dad (my Grandad) Frank, with my Mum's brothers, Paul, Michael. and Peter. I have VERY hazy memories of being up there as a baby but i was Christened up there.

My Dad's side were the Whites in the bug house at the end of Pickering Road. My Dad was Jimmy (RIP), his twin Jackie, younger brother Shady with Sisters Lynn and Vicky. My Nan was Moan and my Grandad (John) kept pigeons up there. They all used to go to school walking over the footbridge over the train track.

The Whites are the A.White demolition who went in the Crown at the bottom of the hill of Rutland Road.

1 hour ago, MancBlade said:

I am a DeAbaitua of the DeAbaituas who lived on Doughlas, Vale and Pickering Road.  Lynne DeAbaitua is my Auntiy, Anita is my Mum (i took my Mum's maiden name) and there was their Dad (my Grandad) Frank, with my Mum's brothers, Paul, Michael. and Peter. I have VERY hazy memories of being up there as a baby but i was Christened up there.

My Dad's side were the Whites in the bug house at the end of Pickering Road. My Dad was Jimmy (RIP), his twin Jackie, younger brother Shady with Sisters Lynn and Vicky. My Nan was Moan and my Grandad (John) kept pigeons up there. They all used to go to school walking over the footbridge over the train track.

The Whites are the A.White demolition who went in the Crown at the bottom of the hill of Rutland Road.

I remember Mick, nick name Jabber, saw him a few years ago.

On 27/09/2013 at 13:07, philj said:

Edited by BeX2709

Possible burial for Fred, -care of Sheffield indexers

BAGLEY, Fred (Engine Driver, age 64).
     Died at Trenython, Par; Buried on September 13, 1944 in ~ ground;
     Grave Number V586, Section ~ of Intake Cemetery, Sheffield.
     Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: : from Cornwall Parish: Officiating Minister: J. W. Martin.
     Plot Owner: ~ of ~. Page No

On 11/10/2019 at 16:44, MancBlade said:

Hi

I'm even later to the party, so don't worry about it.

I remember Anita and her friend Marie who lived on Vale Road.  The last time I saw Anita, I was working as Head Chef at Nether Edge Hospital and she was working in catering at the Hallamshire Hospital.

I also remember Jimmy and Shady from my schooldays at Hillfoot County.

Eighteen months ago, my sister Rita and I had a meal with the Astills who lived next to Anita and the family on Pickering Road.