Anyone from Wallace Rd or Pickering Rd Parkwood Springs

Thank you so much. The car is just about outsie her house.

There was a shop about fours doors up called Parrots.

There was a shop about fours doors up called Parrots.

Charlie Parrot -greengrocer

I have photos of the 2 pubs on Parkwood Springs-one the Parkwood itself but I can't make out the name of the big pub which was on a corner.Any one help?

I have photos of the 2 pubs on Parkwood Springs-one the Parkwood itself but I can't make out the name of the big pub which was on a corner.Any one help?

It's ok I found it-The Douglas.:)

hello all, been thru loads of post about the parkwood springs area just t find out what it was like. i used to live in this area till i was 5 years old but dont remember anything about the area, some ppl mention the old tin baths, i remember them in the back yard. i still remember my dad puttin his foot thru the ceiling from the room above

anyway i used to live at 193 wallace road, the last house on the dead end next to the steps down to the railway bridge, this was from when i was born in 1969 up till 1974 when they pulled the estate down. we was then moved to sheffield lane top.

what i know is my dad was the signal man in the signal box over the back from our house, his name is bob green.

i now live in birmingham now but a few weeks ago i came upto to visit my kids in the southey green area and while i was there i visited the parkwood springs area, got to the bottom of wallace road and noticed its blocked off and also noticed loads of traveller caravans, so i went round the other way by the railway bridge at the bottom and up the steps

in this pic the last house on the right is 193 wallace road where we used to live, this is next to the steps that lead down to the railway

0058photo2.jpg

some ppl have mentioned keith hackett, im sure i went to firth park school with his daughter kay hackett

as i was growing up in the lane top area i remember my dad telling me he him and my uncle david started the bike track that used to be on there, i remember travellin to parkwood with my dad with a yamaha 90 trails bike in the baqck of the van for me to ride round the track. i remember my bike bein pinched from out of my grandads garage up on the manor

another storey he used to tell us is that when we moved from the parkwood area he left his motorbikes in the cellar and when they pulled the ouses down he went up to find that the bikes were still in the cellar covered in bricks and dust but they were still in workin order

i have been doin a family tree for my son on ancestry and i have found that in the late 1900s i had a lot of family in the area of neepsend and pitsmoor

Hi, 193 Wallace Road was the home of the Butcher family in the late 1940's and up to the mid fifties. Glenys Butcher was in my class at Hillfoot School from about 1945 to 1955. She later became a teacher herself. There were other members of the same family who went to Hillfoot as well, but Glenys was the most popular of the lot I think. I lived on Mount Road. I think the Parkwood Hotel was at the junction of Mount Road and Rutland Road, the road that led up from Neepsend through Bardwell Road and the Hallamshire Steel Works. The continuation of Rutland Road, which ran up to Shirecliffe and beyond was built by local men and lads just prior to the second world war. The steelworks and the railway line meant that the infrastructure was a prime target for bombing raids and without any other road being available Parkwood Springs would have been effectively isolated.

Hi, 193 Wallace Road was the home of the Butcher family in the late 1940's and up to the mid fifties. Glenys Butcher was in my class at Hillfoot School from about 1945 to 1955. She later became a teacher herself. There were other members of the same family who went to Hillfoot as well, but Glenys was the most popular of the lot I think. I lived on Mount Road. I think the Parkwood Hotel was at the junction of Mount Road and Rutland Road, the road that led up from Neepsend through Bardwell Road and the Hallamshire Steel Works. The continuation of Rutland Road, which ran up to Shirecliffe and beyond was built by local men and lads just prior to the second world war. The steelworks and the railway line meant that the infrastructure was a prime target for bombing raids and without any other road being available Parkwood Springs would have been effectively isolated.

The Parkwood Hotel was on Douglas Road near the junction with Wallace Road, the Douglas Hotel was also on Douglas Road on the corner with Mount Road, do you have any further information for the continuation of Douglas Road to Shirecliffe, the Butchers were at 183.

Thanks for the information. I'm sure you must be right. My recollections are from the nineteen forties mainly. Can you remember who ran the fish and chip shop at the top of Valer Road during the war years?