Older dads - How do you feel about them?

Following up on the news that Paul Mc will be a dad at 60, how do you all feel about older dads? Do you have an older dad or are you an older dad?

Is it a selfish whim to want to start another family at 60 when he already has a grown up family?

I had my last child at 38 when my husband was 34. Can you believe it but we were once asked if we were the grandparents :oops:

Personally, I don't think that it matters so long as the child is wanted. Sadly children can loose their parents at any age but I accept that it is more likely with an older parent. :(

I'm 18, my dad's 60. Does that count?? All my friends at school used to ask me if it scared me that my dad was so old and could die earlier in my life!! :o He's a young 60 though, and probably fitter than me! He will retire (bus driver) in 5 years. I love me dad me!!

Chloé

My hubby could be classed as an older dad I guess. Our daughter has just gone 2 and he is coming up on 42 and we are still planning on at least one more.

I was brought up by my grandparents, who are for obvious reasons, probably more likely to have died whilst I was young. It used to scare me and I tried to prepare myself for them dying whilst I was still at school. I wouldn't wish that on a child and it grieves me to see older parents doing that to their children.

I guess there are pro's and con's to both sides, but even Nos(the hubby) has set himself a cut off point. He wants to be able to see his kids grow up and if he is still reproducing when he turns 60/70 chances are he won't.

Moon Maiden

Originally posted by "Moon Maiden"

My hubby could be classed as an older dad I guess. Our daughter has just gone 2 and he is coming up on 42 and we are still planning on at least one more.

I was brought up by my grandparents, who are for obvious reasons, probably more likely to have died whilst I was young. It used to scare me and I tried to prepare myself for them dying whilst I was still at school. I wouldn't wish that on a child and it grieves me to see older parents doing that to their children.

I guess there are pro's and con's to both sides, but even Nos(the hubby) has set himself a cut off point. He wants to be able to see his kids grow up and if he is still reproducing when he turns 60/70 chances are he won't.

Moon Maiden

MY dad is 54 and although I'm 25 I have 4 younger 'half' siblings who range between 5 and 11. He has been a busy boy. I do however feel that men should set themselves a time scale to have children. The thought of a parent or guardian passing away whilst I was at school would have given me serious issues as a child (thankfully I didn't have to go through that). Also the older a man is when creating off-spring the more likely it is of complications (disabilities).

Originally posted by "Moon Maiden"

Also the older a man is when creating off-spring the more likely it is of complications (disabilities).

Really?? I thought the problems were related to the age of the mother???

Moon Maiden

I've read or heard somewhere that its both. An older man having children has a greater chance of creating offspring with complications.

My dad has a two month old, an 11 month old, a one year old, a two year old, a four year old, a twelve year old and me. He's 51. I thought it was daft but my dad's become a much better man because of all the kids, and his wife - my step mum - is 37, so she isn't old.

Archived