The new Sheaf Square & Midland Station concourse

Hihi, mr Scoop had gone to a christmas party by train in the afternoon. You can imagine his surprise when he arrived back drunk as a skunk at 11pm to find the new water features and lights in full throttle :hihi:

When they first switched everything on the lights were all different changing colours, but after the crowds had gone the lights were boring white. I hope they're going to have nice coloured lights on all the time.

I went along last night and really enjoyed it. It was lovely to see a number of people turning up to celebrate a new part of Sheffield being unveiled. So many people moan about the state of certain areas and when something good comes along they also find time to moan about that too. Sometimes people can do nothing right in their eyes, I suppose that's life.

That aside I think it's fantastic, a word that the Lord Mayor and the MP who opened the square said a few times last night. I think though that it's great to see how passionate they are about improving our city (I don't often say that about councillors/politicians). Lets hope we keep it that way and that there are steps taken to ensure it doesn't get vandalised or run down.

On my way to the station I walked through the underpass near the crucible, what a mess. That whole area needs re-developing as does the market side (entrance to the City via the Motorway) and The Moor. But, we are heading in very much the right direction. The MP highlighted the Winter Gardens, Peace Gardens etc. I don't care what others with negative views think of these areas, to me it's certainly good for the City and I think we are starting to look so much better. Well done to those involved.

I really hope it doesn't happen too often - but I can just see some idiots deciding to get a bulk-buy tub of washing up liquid, and dumping the contents into that. Result - one massive bubble bath. ;)

OK - sounds funny, but it's the council who has to clean it up.

It just takes a splash of another (non-toxic) chemical that removes the detergent's effect. If the water is being recycled they can just add a bit every time the feature is re-filled. Easy peasy.

I was there for an hour last night wandering around, and I saw no sign of free food or drink. Not fair.

the free food,buffet and mulled wne were all set out and served by staff in the station concourse.

The square looks excellent.

Well I must admit when I saw the "Cutting Edge" go up outside the station

I thought is was a bit big and would swamp the place. BUT after seeing the

shots of the finished square on TV last night (the usual few seconds of cover if it's anything to do with Sheffield) I think the Square looks absolutley great.

I think the Peace Gardens are a great success and this is even better !!!!!

Well done to all involved with this project, I should think anyone coming out of the station to see this will be amazed.

Well I must admit when I saw the "Cutting Edge" go up outside the station

I thought is was a bit big and would swamp the place. BUT after seeing the

shots of the finished square on TV last night (the usual few seconds of cover if it's anything to do with Sheffield) I think the Square looks absolutley great.

I think the Peace Gardens are a great success and this is even better !!!!!

Well done to all involved with this project, I should think anyone coming out of the station to see this will be amazed.

Any pictures, by any chance?

It will be officially opened tommorrow ( Thursday ) at 5.00pm! Drove past it today and it's looking good. Theres a big steel wall structure with some fancy lights in it bordering the road and lots of steps and fountains on the other side. The workmen looked extra busy trying to get it all ready for tommorrow.

Does anyone know if theres a VIP in mind to do the opening?

New? Are you sure- when i went to Liverpool on Dec 15th it looked exactly the same as it was in January 2006 when i went to Brum.