Mature Language Learners

Has anyone on here decided to learn a language as part of a planned move overseas either for holiday stays or more permanently? How easy was it? What was the best method of learning?

I've started re-capping on my Spanish (having done it at School) and the other half has started learning Italian.

I bought a starter kit so to speak which consited of a book and Audio CD's with exercises you follow (they say it then you say etc)

:thumbsup:

If you are moving abroad I'd try doing a course when you arrive at destination.

An 1 month intensive course at Malaga university was better than any Spanish lesson i had at home.:thumbsup:

Those Michel Thomas CDs are good for boosting your language ability quickly - he focuses on the useful words we use most (this, that, me, it) before the ones we rarely use (pepper, sausage, lorry). Makes a lot of sense!

As a soon-to-be graduate of French, Spanish and Portuguese I REALLY do not suggest learning from a CD/tape. You'll just be learning things parrot fashion.

ACTIVELY learn the language - get a private tutor and/or night class, AND go abroad on and off for lessons out there as well. Don't forget that REAL Spaniards/Italians/French people etc WILL NOT always speak your 'textbook' style language, so experiencing 'real' language is a must.

It may sound dear paying for a tutor, but it's worth it. I've only been in Sheffield for 3-4 years now but from where I come from the average price was £10-15 an hour depending on the language. It's worth it though.

Classes are fine but there is no better way than to speak to native language speakers.

In lessons they can teach you a lot but you learn much more about the way a language is used when you start in conversation.

Thanks for all the useful information. I don't know how true it is that the older you get the harder it is to learn a language, I think I'd prefer some form of interactive learning but I assume you need a grammatical base to build on.

Those Michel Thomas CDs are good for boosting your language ability quickly - he focuses on the useful words we use most (this, that, me, it) before the ones we rarely use (pepper, sausage, lorry). Makes a lot of sense!

I thought that until I was out buying some pepper in Spain when a lorry carrying sausages ran me over and I had to explain it to the police.

Has anyone on here decided to learn a language as part of a planned move overseas either for holiday stays or more permanently? How easy was it? What was the best method of learning?

I would recommend getting started wiht a cd course like Pimsleurs or something and then going on an intensive "improvers " course in the country itself which you can combine with living with native speakers. there are loads of choices. google away.

for example - Spanish

I run a languages tuition agency in Sheffield called Babble and Speak - we have lots of languages available and send tutors out to people's homes to teach. The advantages are that times / days / length of lessons is flexible, you don't have to go out in the evening and you can learn at your own pace and ask your tutor questions if you don't understand. If you're interested, call me (Katie) on 2555598 or email [email protected]. Cheers!