Sign in to follow this  

Renting a year in advance?

We are currently both students and are staying in our student flat for this new year.

However for the following year, I will be qualified and my boyfriend will still be doing his postgrad study, so we want to move to renting a house through a normal estate agents, rather than a student agent.

With student accomodation you have to sign for it before Christmas for a contract beginning the next summer. But I am aware that for normal housing it is on the basis of what is around at the time you want to move.

Is it at all possible to find a home available for rent now and reserve it starting July 2005? Does anyone know of any agents that let you do this? I' guessing not but it's worth asking as I'm a worrier and if we leave it until we are almost ready to move I will be panicing that we won't find anything we like :rolleyes::thumbsup:

We were planning to move to rented and were told to wait until a month before we needed it. The only possibility is if the agents know that someone is defo coming out of their house in July, they may want to avoid the cost of advertising. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, have a go.

Good luck.

I doubt you could reserve a place like that as tenants are asked what they want to do when their tenancy runs out- estate agents won't know who will be moving out in a years time etc.

Having said that - we are definitly moving out of our house at the end of next May if that is any help to you!

Don't worry about finding somewhere, we had 24 hours to find a place in Sheffield and we got a lovely place - there are plenty out there:)

I had the same problem i hav just graduated and got a job but my boyf is still at uni so we got a rented place. I rang around a month before we needed and they said that was still 2 early, so i dont think they'd let u do it one year in advance.

The only possibility is if the agents know that someone is defo coming out of their house in July, they may want to avoid the cost of advertising.

I hadn't thought of that Max, I will definately ask them about that when I get in touch with them!

Having said that - we are definitly moving out of our house at the end of next May if that is any help to you!

Where abouts is it elf? :)

The house I have seen that is available at the moment is in the Hillsborough area. We definately need somewhere not too far out, preferably on the tram and bus route, and 2 or 3 bedrooms and nicely done up :thumbsup: Don't ask for much do I :rolleyes::P

I was in a student house last year and i just told the landlord i wouldnt be staying the next year and waited until June to look privately. just forget about it for a while!