Favourite Yorkshire Character

I think the Tetley Tea Folk are great, but my very favourite Yorkshire character is Harry Enfield's Yorkshire Advertising Executive, that sexist, racist pig who uttered the immortal words:

"Don't talk to me about sophistication, ah've BEEN to Leeds!"

For those who haven't seen this brilliant sketch, I've YouTubed it onto my White Rose Blog, linked below.

(I find Christmas stressful. I needed some light relief. I'm sure I'm not the only one!)

ps My partner is from Leeds.

I don't like ANYONE who takes the p**s out of Yorkshire. Jealousy, that's what it is. Aye, and xenophobia - they don't understand our superior culture, that's what it is. They look at the bastions of civilisation that stretch from Sheffield to Middlesbrough, and from Hull to er, somewhere way out west like Dent, and they quail like the bloody southern jessies that they are. All of 'em, even the scots.:rant:

Has to be ELI from LAST OF THE SUMMER WINE

I don't like ANYONE who takes the p**s out of Yorkshire. Jealousy, that's what it is. Aye, and xenophobia - they don't understand our superior culture, that's what it is. They look at the bastions of civilisation that stretch from Sheffield to Middlesbrough, and from Hull to er, somewhere way out west like Dent, and they quail like the bloody southern jessies that they are. All of 'em, even the scots.:rant:

You're from Leeds. You think Sheffield's not proper Yorkshire! Run, quickly, now! :hihi:

An American came to England to research a book on English Cathedrals.

He went into St Pauls and noticed a golden telephone on the wall and asked the bishop what it was for. The bishop said "it is a direct line to God in Heaven, calls cost £10,000". "Wow that's a bit expensive" says the writer.

Next he goes to Canterbury Cathedral and same thing, golden phone on the wall, calls to God in Heaven, ten Grand.

Lincoln Cathedral, Winchester, Coventry and so on, all the same price.

Eventually he goes to York Minster and as usual the golden phone is there. He says to the bishop, "Don't tell me, that's the direct line to God in Heaven and it's £10,000 a call?"

"No" says the bishop "it's only 10p from here, it's a local call".

I think the Tetley Tea Folk are great, but my very favourite Yorkshire character is Harry Enfield's Yorkshire Advertising Executive, that sexist, racist pig who uttered the immortal words:

"Don't talk to me about sophistication, ah've BEEN to Leeds!"

For those who haven't seen this brilliant sketch, I've YouTubed it onto my White Rose Blog, linked below.

(I find Christmas stressful. I needed some light relief. I'm sure I'm not the only one!)

ps My partner is from Leeds.

absolute class! this is one of my favourite harry enfield sketches. in yorkshire we say what we like and we like what we bloody well say!.

Brian Glover - Kes, Aliens 3. A very under rated actor. RIP

Richard Whiteley, Dickie Bird, John Barry, Keith Barron. The list could go on and on and on.

I loved the Hale and Pace "Yorkshire Airlines" sketch.

ha ha ha ha ha! i've never seen that before, thanks so much for posting it, alchresearch :) i will link to that on my blog tomorrow and say thanks to you :)

"if it's outside yorkshire, it's not worth bloody visiting."

:hihi:

we are truly blessed to live in god's own county :)

Richard Whiteley, Dickie Bird, John Barry, Keith Barron.

yup to all of them, and keith barron hasn't achieved the recognition he deserves as an actor imho.

absolute class! this is one of my favourite harry enfield sketches. in yorkshire we say what we like and we like what we bloody well say!.

:hihi: i'm glad you appreciated it, diggory comp.

i like your signature. "look at my lovely barm cakes" doesn't have quite the same ring to it, does it? :)