Grid Lock in City Centre - Thursday 14th December.

Can this not be achieved by simply taking off the handbrake and having a couple of stout people push the thing off the road?
As someone suggested 116 posts back. :rolleyes:

Can this not be achieved by simply taking off the handbrake and having a couple of stout people push the thing off the road?

It was a Land Rover with a large fully loaded trailer. Plus its was right on the corss roads!

Good ideas about recovery trucks but it looks like the driver had contacted the recovery firm and they simply could not get through the traffic themselves, bit of a catch-22 situation!

However, surely police cops on bikes could have directed traffic around the incident? Leaving people to do it for themselves won't do any good, I know this from a time we broke down coming off the M1 - the car wasn't going to move at all, so while waiting for the police to come and help we were waving and warning people not to pull up behind it but they were oblivious. Loads of them just drove up to the back of the car and then sat there wondering why it wasn't moving. One silly girl even blew the horn! :huh: Soon as the cops got there we were able to bounce it off the road safely.

just been out into town... the traffic is nearly as bad now as it was last night!

me thinks there will be a lot of p*ssed off people again today!!!

just been out into town... the traffic is nearly as bad now as it was last night!

me thinks there will be a lot of p*ssed off people again today!!!

Naaaaaaaa..not me...just get the scooter out again....

jt

I thought it was well funny, took me 2.5 hours to get home - got to listen to some good radio though. The people who design sheffield really are small time. Perhaps they could look at some of the better cities for ideas?

You mean cities with better roads?! Derby has flyovers FFS, looks like something out of LA flyin about on them.. We need some of that!!

The tram driver told us that the driver of the car that broke down at West Bar got out, locked the doors and put the steering lock on too, and walked off! They couldn't shift the damned thing.

Lets all wish him a very merry Xmas and a happy new year.:gag:

Maybe his gearbox jammed - as you say taking the handbrake off and putting it in neutral would've let a couple of strong men shove it off the road, but if his gearbox was solid then so were his wheels hence pushing it off would've been impossible. He apparently had transmission problems so the gearbox is a prime candidate for failure.

If his wheels were solid then the only way to get the car off the road would be to literally lift it off the road and carry it away - no mean feat, as a 4x4 is a low-lying two-tonne lump of metal. I'd be impressed if a gaggle of office drones could lift it off its suspension let alone off the road to be honest!

According to council website, a lorry's broken down on Sheaf Street near Park Square roundabout... so that's another hour-plus journey home to Aston tonight then :(

Maybe his gearbox jammed - as you say taking the handbrake off and putting it in neutral would've let a couple of strong men shove it off the road, but if his gearbox was solid then so were his wheels hence pushing it off would've been impossible. He apparently had transmission problems so the gearbox is a prime candidate for failure.

If his wheels were solid then the only way to get the car off the road would be to literally lift it off the road and carry it away - no mean feat, as a 4x4 is a low-lying two-tonne lump of metal. I'd be impressed if a gaggle of office drones could lift it off its suspension let alone off the road to be honest!

Any vehicle can be bounced off the road if there are enough people to do it. Have you never done it?

Any vehicle can be bounced off the road if there are enough people to do it. Have you never done it?
Nope! Would've been a sight to see though...