Sheffield Smelting Co royds mill lane

Does anyone remember this firm in the early 50ties or worked there, I was on the maintenance side in those years.

Yes I still work there, been there since 1965 it was "The Sheffield Smelting Co " Then.It was taken over by "Englehards" Who then sold the buiseness to "Solder Products" it is now called "Thessco"

Hiya

I worked there from 1980 to December 1982 when I got made redundant. I think our department was called the Dry Section, it was next to the Fire Section. I often worked on a machine called the Pelletiser which took the dust mixed it with water in a massive drum to make pellets which were fed into the furnace to extract the precious metals. There were also small customer lots which were incinerated in a small furnace, things such as dental amalgum. I remember the metal detectors and conveyor belts, we also had to undergo periodic blood tests, if there was too much lead in your blood you were moved to another department. We worked continental shifts and with double time and bonuses we earned quite a good wage.

I think Ronnie Carr worked there before he started his own firm, whch he has at Halfway.

I remember having an silver onz ingot on a chain with his initials stamped on.

Still got it.

hazel

I think Ronnie Carr worked there before he started his own firm, whch he has at Halfway.

I remember having an silver onz ingot on a chain with his initials stamped on.

Still got it.

hazel

Think you're right as I remember he had a small shop opposite the Peace gardens.

I worked for Thessco in the late 80's - had some good laughs too.

I was upstairs in the offices, but I remember at stock take time I used to go into the coinage department to help out and work with Chick Widdop, anyone remember him? He was a lovely guy... I also remember Maureen downstairs who worked in the labs.

Also remember having our own 'on-site' doctor too, can't remember his name but he once sent me home with tonsilitis!!

I worked for Thessco in the late 80's - had some good laughs too.

I was upstairs in the offices, but I remember at stock take time I used to go into the coinage department to help out and work with Chick Widdop, anyone remember him? He was a lovely guy... I also remember Maureen downstairs who worked in the labs.

Also remember having our own 'on-site' doctor too, can't remember his name but he once sent me home with tonsilitis!!

If you worked in the offices in the 80's you might remember my father Jack Riley?

Which office did he work in? the only Riley I can instantly recall is Steve Riley. I was in the main office that was open plan, with the sales/export/accounts people, but I know there were other offices dotted all around the factory.

If there was a coinage dept I bet the security was tight,didn't they have an irishman on the gate.

dont know if this is an urban myth but i was once told that some of the staff had been taking blanks home to use as bingo markers, and the irony was that the value of the markers was worth more than the house they were playing for??

Don't know about the bingo markers story, but yes, security was really tight.

We had to go through, (and I suppose they still do), the walk through scanner machines like they have in airports and bag searches everytime we left the building - a bit annoying when you were on a 'flyer'!!

Which office did he work in? the only Riley I can instantly recall is Steve Riley. I was in the main office that was open plan, with the sales/export/accounts people, but I know there were other offices dotted all around the factory.

Just asked him, he says he worked in a porta cabin which had two floors, not part of the main building. He was a progress chaser.

Sorry, I can't remember your dad in person but I think I know the cabins that you are talking about. Did he work with/know Maureen (or it could be Margaret)? I think that she was based in the same offices, and might have been more on the progress chasing side. I worked there 86-89.