Sheffield Smelting Co royds mill lane

From what I remember being told the company was founded in 1774 on the site of a brewery.The company was a temperance company which meant that any one found drinking alcohol on or of the premises whether working or not would be sacked immediately.The company trademark was THESSCO and yes it was owned by Charles Engehard who incidently owned the racehorse Nijinsky.It was Engelhard who eventually sold the company around 1984 which resulted in a large percentage of the workforce being made redundant,me being one of them.

My Dad used to work there & he too was made redundant around that time. They treated their workforce appallingly only telling them about job loss on the actual day they were expected to leave, even though there had been rumours for months.

My Dad used to work there & he too was made redundant around that time. They treated their workforce appallingly only telling them about job loss on the actual day they were expected to leave, even though there had been rumours for months.
When Iworked there 1949-53 it was avery good firm to work for, the main director Mr Wilson was a real gent ,every one seemed very satisfied with conditions and wages, Its sad to hear it went down in later years , Arthur.

From what I remember being told the company was founded in 1774 on the site of a brewery.The company was a temperance company which meant that any one found drinking alcohol on or of the premises whether working or not would be sacked immediately.

Found this in a book on the lower Don valley.

...the Sheffield Smelting Company's works, Royds Lane. This industry prospered by collecting sweepings from the floors and benches of silversmiths' workshops and salvaging the precious metal content. It moved from Green Lane to Attercliffe in 1790. Latterly it was owned by the radical and nonconformist Wilson family who were enlightened and progressive employers.

I think the move was to the site of the former Royds brewery, but can't find the reference at the moment, and I believe it was actually founded in 1760. On the 1905 map it is shown as the 'Royds Silver Works'.

When Iworked there 1949-53 it was avery good firm to work for, the main director Mr Wilson was a real gent ,every one seemed very satisfied with conditions and wages, Its sad to hear it went down in later years , Arthur.

When I joined in '73 it was a good firm to work for paying above average wages.

hi darra, do you remember the guy with all the dogs, aptly called doggy fred

hi darra, do you remember the guy with all the dogs, aptly called doggy fred

sorry mate doesn't ring any bells but mention a few other names and they might.

My uncle, Pete Whitehead worked there for many years but cant remember the dates.Does any one remember him.

My uncle, Pete Whitehead worked there for many years but cant remember the dates.Does any one remember him.

Hi Yes I knew Pete a fattish lad with glasses in fact I believe he went to the same school as me All saints cof e he was there at the same time early 50 ties, Arthur.

Ive all ready answered you but as usual went to the end of the thread, iwas going to say is pete still around Arthur.

I deviate slightly but some of you will no doubt remember the location of the Grey Horse pub, I know that it wasn't very far from what is now Solpro but can't quite figure out where. :help:

I worked in the Met Lab from 1969 - 1976 my Grandad (Harry Dyson)also used to work as Chief Chemist there until he moved to the Sheffield Assay Office as Assistant Assay Master. My aunty Vera also worked there so it was a family orientated company with nearly everyone having relatives woking there at the same time. I remember before the metal detector was installed and there was a ex sargeant major in a wooden hut by the gate doing spot checks as you left at the end of the day. Pete Whitehead was nicked named Pete Piccalo for some reason and worked in the amalgam department. He enjoyed his trips to the met lab so that he could have a good old chat, what I remember most was his feet pointed out side ways when he walked. What a fantastic character. I could keep you entertained for hours on the Smelting Company.:hihi: