Bungalows and Bears, Division Street

Bungalows and Bears - how do you rate it?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Bungalows and Bears - how do you rate it?

So the old Fire Station has had a makeover and is now the Bungalows and Bears, with 1940s radios, rough and ready toilets and a 1960s radiogram taking pride of place near the toilets. What do you think of it?

I have to say I went here for lunch yesterday, bartender I spoke to was absolutely sound (think it was Sam?) and I had one of the best pies I've ever had.. Good music, good food, good service.. I rarely praise but this seems spot on to me :thumbsup:

I think the place is ace, the food is top notch, pint of Peroni is reasonably priced and the yhave decent music in the place. I also quite like the decor, it is not cheesy, a little bit of the scale, but ace all the same.

Yes but has it got real ale? Or, if it's gone for the 1960s retro look, is it serving Watneys Red Barrel? :gag:

I have heard it on good authority that you are only allowed in if you are wearing brown or suede shoes...

:suspect:

:hihi:

Looks OK to me, hopefully service has improved (I used to avoid firestation like the plague as it was easliy the place with the biggest bar queue). Its an indie bar so don't think it will get overly poncy (not like halcyon or pakatuna), and I'd say its in their interest not to give out too much of a "mature" vibe as Frog & Parrot and Green Room already have that angle covered.

i was there for the pre-opening night last Tuesday, and had a really good time. The food is very nice (and not just because i know the chef..), they have a great choice of beers (paulaner is a must!).

I can understand it will not be anybody's taste, but i reckon it is a nice bar, and will probably end up there on Sundays for after-afters.

It's an Indie Bar, and yes it has real ale.

I have been and tried it but it was early evening on a Tuesday, so wasn't exactly lively, so jury is still out until I try it again.

However it does have a very formulaic feel of a pub created by a marketing department.

The bar staff had no idea how to pull the cask beer when I tried it (Kelham Gold and Moonshine) so the staff need some training before I can judge properly. I think overall though the place is fine - certainly better than what was there before (which I went in only once). I'd go here again.

Once it beds in and they get rid of the corporate idea of wackiness (photos of bungalows, aforesaid radiogram etc), which is just unnecessary clutter and tat, it'll be much better. Change the name too please (what's wrong with 'the Old Fire Station'?).

The DJ last Fri was playing some sort of amorphous loop of stuff - not really 'indie' as such, so not sure what the music is meant to be.

Idiots with a scarf on indoors can be seen in many places nowadays I'm afraid.

It's an Indie Bar, and yes it has real ale.

I have been and tried it but it was early evening on a Tuesday, so wasn't exactly lively, so jury is still out until I try it again.

However it does have a very formulaic feel of a pub created by a marketing department.

Thats cos thats exactly what it is, and sadly, people fall for it