...What is Live Linux?...

Guest Mod_Man

I just read in another thread about Live Linux and that you can boot from it. Is it a C.D. Boot version?

If it is I would be most happy as I have to Investigate some of Linux's features for an assignment but don't want to have to install it.

A live CD basically has a live system on it so you can boot from it and you're straight into the OS without having to install anything onto your hard drive. IT's worth downloading the Ubuntu live CD from http://www.ubuntu.com/ - Ubuntu is generally seen as a good 'starter' distribution of Linux.

With the Ubuntu live CD there's an icon on the desktop you can click if you wish to install to hard drive.

yes - it's a bootable version of linux

you download a CD iso and burn it to a disk

then you can boot from that CD without installing anything onto your harddrive

lookup Knoppix - it's the one i usually recommend if someone's wanting to try before they buy as they've done all the hard work

(In theory you can build a live build of any distro - for a 'real' build i would recomend ubuntu)

Guest Mod_Man

Cheers for that guys. I have just been reading up on it on the old Wiki. My next question would have been " Can you recommend one? " but I shall give fnkysknky's link a try first.

Ubuntu's good, got that free with a magazine once. I have another called mepis I think, cant find the disk at the moment :suspect: once used it to retrieve some files and good to have a play with if your bored :hihi:

Guest Mod_Man

Is Linux any good then? I've heard lots of people rave on about it but this will be my first time trying it ( cant wait).

Does most/all windows software run on Linux?

Is it like the MacOS thing, I mean is it a case of it's good but not supported enough by third parties?

theres loads about now

tbh i dint really like ubuntu

knoppix is awesome

I must say i didn't realise Ubuntu came with it's own Live CD - you learn something new everyday :D

Guest Mod_Man

Are Ubunut & Knoppix both Linux OS or are they both OS's in their own right?

Linux is a totally different OS to XP - better in many ways, worse in a couple

as a rule you CANNOT run windows programs on Linux, however there are programs that allow you to run some windows programs like office (do a google for Linux WINE)

there are lots of really good programs that are just for Linux however - and because many of them are GPL they tend to be free (things i couldn't live without are GIMP, VMware, mono and wine)

Edit:

There are litrally 1000's of different distributions of Linux, all are the same under the bonnet, but they have differnt things added (like a different look to the desktop, different applications as default, extra things for certain tasks etc...) - try one, if you don't like the look, try another they are all free LOL

Is Linux any good then? I've heard lots of people rave on about it but this will be my first time trying it ( cant wait).

Does most/all windows software run on Linux?

Is it like the MacOS thing, I mean is it a case of it's good but not supported enough by third parties?

no windows runs on linux.natively, some works using wine (windows emulator)

tbh ive been fiddling around with linux and hate it

its way too complicated, user unfiendly and takes the enjoyment out of computing - thats my view, im quite handy round the computer with windows but cant do anything on linux at all, oh i got online once with knoppix

Are Ubunut & Knoppix both Linux OS or are they both OS's in their own right?

both linux (ubuntu is a normal distribution AND a live one) knoppix is just alive distribution

linux comes from the way older unix