The absolutely huge 'moan about cyclists' megathread

Cyclists in Sheffield  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Cyclists in Sheffield

• Give em a break, give em some room
    • You don't pay road tax, get off the road

Originally posted by fatjohn

I am sorry but you cannot defend ignoring traffic lights. That is far too dangerous.

And I suppose you only cross the road at pedestrian crossing when there is a little green man? The trick is to look first.

I think the situation has got out of hand. I think that cyclists have been allowed to use the roads without any accountability or monitoring for far too long. I think that most cyclists now regard the motorist as having no right to be on the roads.

I am sorry but you cannot defend ignoring traffic lights. That is far too dangerous.

Dangerous for whom?

As a driver who used to cycle 3 miles to work every day, 13 miles is a bit much now imo, I look enviously at cyclists who go through red lights.

I think the situation has got out of hand. I think that cyclists have been allowed to use the roads without any accountability or monitoring for far too long. I think that most cyclists now regard the motorist as having no right to be on the roads.

Don't forget that the bicycle was around long before the car.

In my opinion most drivers get annoyed because they see cyclists getting through traffic a lot quicker than themselves. If you are relatively healthy and live within five miles or so of work what is stopping you commuting on your bike?

I'll also hazard a guess that you break the law almost every time you get in your car, speeding, going through amber lights, driving without due care and attention, driving with illegal tyres etc.?

great comment john, oh for more people like you... nice to see some common sense...:loopy:

Hey fatjohn.... maybe if you cycled more to work n back, you wouldn't be so fat.:D

And you'd understand a cyclists point of view.

Sorry for the dig, just couldn't resist

Seeing as most cylists are also car drivers, I find that hard to believe.

Admittedly, you get idiots on bikes but no more than you get idiots in cars or on foot come to that. Most accidents are caused by car drivers and pedestrians - not cyclists.

Should we "monitor" pedestrians too? Perhaps they should be forced to take out insurance, and pay congestion charges at peak times? We could even make them take proficiency tests and ban them for walking if they cross a road without due care and attention?

Originally posted by Zamo

Should we "monitor" pedestrians too? Perhaps they should be forced to take out insurance, and pay congestion charges at peak times? We could even make them take proficiency tests and ban them for walking if they cross a road without due care and attention?

And while you're at it we should tax pedestrians for walking, yeah perhaps per footstep? What do you think?

I don’t think that most cyclists are car owners. Surely not! What makes you think that?

Originally posted by Dug

And while you're at it we should tax pedestrians for walking, yeah perhaps per footstep? What do you think?

Good idea - fit us all with satellite navigation to track us. What about extra charges for wide loads or emission tests to make sure gas levels are with EU limits?

Just because they choose to ride doesnt mean they dont drive.