The absolutely huge 'moan about cyclists' megathread

Cyclists in Sheffield  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Cyclists in Sheffield

• Give em a break, give em some room
    • You don't pay road tax, get off the road

Originally posted by Zamo

Good idea - fit us all with satellite navigation to track us. What about extra charges for wide loads or emission tests to make sure gas levels are with EU limits?

I've got it! An MOT for pedestrians, which would include:

- checking shoes/trainers for wear

- appropriate fluid levels topped up

- general body work sound

- hooter working

- emission test

Of course if you fail you are then not road worthy and it would be illegal to use the footpath.

How about using the existing Road Tax to pay for a national cyclist insurance scheme?

Also, I will revise my free bike to 12 year olds to FREE BIKE TO ANYONE over 12 after completing a 10 hour cycling proficiency test.

If you ever go to germany they are very strict about cycling on the road, you need lights etc and a proficiency certificate.

I think this would be a good idea in the UK.

I also think cyclists should be insured (come on it wouldn't cost much, not like car insurance!)

Originally posted by Dug

I've got it! An MOT for pedestrians, which would include:

- checking shoes/trainers for wear

- appropriate fluid levels topped up

- general body work sound

- hooter working

- emission test

Of course if you fail you are then not road worthy and it would be illegal to use the footpath.

Gordon? Is that you Gordon? I thought we weren't going to announce that until after the next election? For god sake don't mention the plans for lavatory top up fees.

Sorry, I just got an attack of the Tony Blair's. What were we talking about? Oh yeah, cyclist. Gawd bless every one of 'em.

Originally posted by Zamo

For god sake don't mention the plans for lavatory top up fees.

The lavatory top up fees have been abandoned in favour of contributions from taxpayers at the bottom end.

Well that’s it then!

Reading through these postings the consensus of opinion seems to be that cyclists can use public highways without any regard for the Highway Code whatsoever and should not be held accountable for any damage or financial loss caused to other road users.

Originally posted by fatjohn

Well that’s it then!

Reading through these postings the consensus of opinion seems to be that cyclists can use public highways without any regard for the Highway Code whatsoever and should not be held accountable for any damage or financial loss caused to other road users.

Cars must cause a million times more death and distruction on our roads than bicycles. Wasn't there a report recently saying that 1 in 10 cars in the UK have no tax and insurance? Wouldn't police resource be better focused on these offending CAR drivers instead?!?

By the way, how much tax and insurance do you think my 4 year old daughter would have to pay to ride her Barbie bike under your scheme?

I have not thought it out in any detail. I am making a general statement that it is time to address the issue that cyclists should be made more accountable as road users. Quite frankly I think that any child cyclist should have to take a test, maybe at school, and be given a certificate of proficiency before being allowed onto a public road.

I have not thought it out in any detail. I am making a general statement that it is time to address the issue that cyclists should be made more accountable as road users. Quite frankly I think that any child cyclist should have to take a test, maybe at school, and be given a certificate of proficiency before being allowed onto a public road.

For most people learning to ride a bike and then being allowed on the roads is all part of growing up, in much the same way you get taught the highway code, to look both ways before crossing the road etc. by mummy and daddy. Anyway schools always used to organise a voluntary cycling proficiency test (not sure if this still goes on).

I gave up cycling in the late sixties because I felt uncomfortable and at risk with the ever-increasing traffic.

But just look at it now.

Traffic must have increased ten-fold since then - and yet still people cycle. I, for one, do not blame a cyclist at all for taking any action deemed necessary by him or her if they think their health is at risk.

If it means zipping off the road now and again and riding on the pavement, getting off at red lights, r whatever - so be it.

Let's face it: we are trying to keep the numbers of cars off the roads, and these people are at least making an effort - unlike the majority - myself included.

I give up! Yet another posting defending the right of cyclists to ignore red lights. Don’t you realise that you are committing a traffic offence and that you are breaking the law?

I give up! Yet another posting defending the right of cyclists to ignore red lights. Don’t you realise that you are committing a traffic offence and that you are breaking the law?

Not if you get off and push, you're just a pedestrian then! :thumbsup: