Rutland Arms Closing? (Nope, it's reopened!)

Yes. The pub is now closed. Thank you for everyone who supported us over the past 14 years and let's hope it opens up again soon!

Tragic. :(:mad:

Lets hope someone gives it a new lease of life and reopens its doors soon.

Aw, I was in there yesterday afternoon and they were taking down all the bits and bobs of flotsam and jetsam that always made it so lovely and unique.

very, very sad :(

An absolute tragedy. Probably the last 'local' in the City centre.

At least there's still the Red Lion on Charles Street.....suspect they'll pick up some trade from the loss of the Rutland.

At least there's still the Red Lion on Charles Street.....suspect they'll pick up some trade from the loss of the Rutland.

True, but it just hasn't got the same sort of feel for me ...... mind you, as a 'proper' Wards fan, no former Wards house seems the same at all ........

I'm really sad to hear this.

One of your regular monthly 'munchers' :(

Did anything special happen on the last night, or did it just fizzle out? A bunch of us went there for last orders on my birthday because someone said it was closing that night, but obviously it didn't. By last orders we were the only ones in there, being glared at by Phil. Everywhere else in town was packed with merriment, it being the last Friday before Christmas, but in the Rutland it was drab and grim and empty except for us lot. I hope the very end was not the same. :(

One single person who actually wants to buy the pub and run it, and the problem is solved.

The pub's not for sale, only the lease. The pubco who own it want someone to do all the hard work while they cream off every penny of profit, as all pubcos do. if it was up for sale outright, you can bet someone would take it on.

Would Hallam Union be interested - assuming they could afford it? It could be a moneyspinner if made slightly more student/young person-friendly and still remain as a proper pub. It's their neck of the woods.

Nope. We have the HUBS building (The Kettles). If only it had stayed a bit longer - the new building going up next door is one of ours, and lecturers love their ale.