Rutland Arms Closing? (Nope, it's reopened!)

Try get get listed building status for the pub that way at least it would not be knocked down. Sheffield is famous for destroying it's heritage of buildings.

The councils' have done more damage to the city than the Luftwaffe ever did.

Try get get listed building status for the pub that way at least it would not be knocked down. Sheffield is famous for destroying it's heritage of buildings.

The councils' have done more damage to the city than the Luftwaffe ever did.

Yup I agree. I myself would love to see every pub in Sheffield listed.

For example, whenever I drive past the Meadow, it looks very lonely in the middle of an area being flattened. I get the feeling it's going to be missing soon.

Hope it stays as a pub. Until the mythical Platform 1 Wetherspoon appears, the Rutland is the nearest proper pint to the station (along with the Old Queen's Head and Red Lion of course). It feels right to wait for a train in there or meet people off trains. It belongs to that era.

If it's worth more to flog off to developers it'll be a case of 'use it AND lose it' as the number of customers won't make any odds.

Would Hallam Union be interested - assuming they could afford it? It could be a moneyspinner if made slightly more student/young person-friendly and still remain as a proper pub. It's their neck of the woods.

the beer's on the pricey side (something like £2.40 for Deuchars, which is only a 3.8% beer).

Deuchars seems to be over 2 quid everywhere you go though - which always seems steep. It's nice but is it THAT nice?

Deuchars seems to be over 2 quid everywhere you go though - which always seems steep. It's nice but is it THAT nice?

No. It's not.

Its a grade 2 listed building so hopefully it should be o.k. but knowing this Council nothing is sacred.

Its a grade 2 listed building so hopefully it should be o.k. but knowing this Council nothing is sacred.

Where do you get this information?

I looked on the councils list of listed buildings and couldn't find it -

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/EasySite/lib/serveDocument.asp?doc=73668&pgid=91711

I have to agree with some other posters that the Rutland has been in decline for a while now. The last time I went in a few months ago, I thought the landlord, perhaps for genuine reasons doesn't seem bothered anymore, the beer was too warm, and there was a miserable Scottish barman that was obviously keen to get rid of everyone ASAP after 11pm. I really hope that someone can take it on and get it back to how it used to be.

Pevsner Architectural Guide to Sheffield (2004) says -

"Brown Street now turns NW with the Rutland Arms 0f 1936. Probably the best surviving example of duncan Gilmour's house style of applied faience decoration with bold lettering."

This is very very sad. A number of years ago The Rutland was my 'local' and I went in there almost daily with my co-workers. I spent many blissful summer hours in the garden with the amazing wall full of roses. So many memories. :(

I went in again a few months ago and was distressed at how run down and dirty it was. I had a similar shock when I went in the Brown Bear, incidentally. We're losing the last pubs of character in the city centre.

I'm not 'in' the Cultural Industries Quarter now. Does anyone know what the feeling is along that street? Do the media and creatives go somewhere else now? Aren't there any enterprising souls in that community who could club together and run it collectively? I have neither dosh nor business brawn, but I feel really strong sentiments about this!

What a shame its closing - such a lovely old pub with character - will they be auctioning off the curiosities in the main lounge ?