Rutland Arms Closing? (Nope, it's reopened!)

Well me and my mrs will be in on Friday all being well. Good luck anyway and thank you for bringing one of my favourite pubs back to life. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

YAY! My favourite pub in Sheffield (alongside The Washington, The Red House and The Fat Cat) is back open again with a GREAT publican, Andy and a member of staff Joe both of whom Yog and I met yesterday afternoon when we went in early doors straight after work. By 5.30pm the place was absolutely buzzing with lots of arty types like us, and within half an hour of sitting down I'd run into some of my favourite people in Sheff. I could have stayed all night it was such a good vibe but sadly Yog was cycling home and had to catch the light and I had stuff to do in the evening at home. Anyway it is brilliant, I am totally convinced that Andy is the right man to be running The Rutland. Still miss Tim the ex landlord and hope maybe he'll work there again!

It is FAB, and will hopefully become a great meeting place for the international delegates during the up and coming Sheffield International Documentary Film Festival because The Showroom gets rammed for those five days and folk need a good pub within walking distance of The Workstation.

Edited by the white rose

I used to go ever Saturday in the late 90's. Barnsley bitter at around £1.30 a pint and loved it, plus a lock in after time!

Are they doing Barnsley in there still? I hope the place is not too populated by Arty types? A mix of people is allways welcome, but a cliquey place can be unbearable!

Will give it a try when I pass from the station on a weekend. I hope they have Barnsley on!:)

I used to go ever Saturday in the late 90's. Barnsley bitter at around £1.30 a pint and loved it, plus a lock in after time!

Are they doing Barnsley in there still? I hope the place is not too populated by Arty types? A mix of people is allways welcome, but a cliquey place can be unbearable!

Will give it a try when I pass from the station on a weekend. I hope they have Barnsley on!:)

I would like a pub with arty types in it - do they meet regularly?

I would like a pub with arty types in it - do they meet regularly?

Don't care who's in... I hate it when places become cliquey and that can go on to all sorts of groups. As I quote "a mix of people is allways welcome".

I hope the place is not too populated by Arty types? A mix of people is allways welcome, but a cliquey place can be unbearable!

Don't know about the Barnsley Bitter, sorry! Obviously being smack in the middle of the cultural quarter and near the new SHU art college buildings, there are bound to be arty/music types in there, but the clientele is very mixed. The atmosphere is definitely not cliquey, it's the sort of place where you could walk in and folk aren't going to look you up and down and judge you. Arty types tend to be very broadminded like that in my experience. Although debating that would be a separate thread in itself ;)

Should be a good mix in there once the pub is established again - arty types and academics from the local businesses and university, students wanting a more chilled out venue, travellers meeting before or after a train or coach journey and more.

anyone tried the food yet?

Yes, food is very nice, batter on the fish is lovely and the burger is the best I have tried in a long time!

Have just left after a first rate business lunch with ( sadly) soft drinks - great food - bill for me and the client £13! Nice One!

Sorry - perhaps should have put menu on here for people to see when we started last week. It is very home-made centric, ie we bake our bread, make our batter, tartare sauce, thick cut chips, pies etc.

Menu

Food Served Monday – Saturday 12-8

Sides

Home-cooked Chips £1.95

Onion Rings £1.95

Side Salad £2.50

Bread to share £3.50

(cheese & tomato or rosemary & garlic)

Sandwiches

All served with a handful of Paul’s homemade chips and posh dressed salad leaves

B.L.T. - Crispy Poitrine Fume (that’s bacon to us normal folk) with

tomato, lettuce and mayonnaise. Classic. £4.75

F.L.T. - Coley goujons (homemade fish fingers to the uninitiated)

with tartar sauce and lettuce. £4.50

Steak - medium rare rump steak with caramelised onions.

(where’s the L & T? - S.L.T. would have fit nicely) £4.75

Fried Halloumi - with moon-blush tomatoes. For us Veggies £4.50

Chip Butty - Homemade chips, bread. Done!

(unless you want cheese … ask nicely and we’ll put some on!) £3.00

See our “Daily Specials” board for, well, daily specials

Mains

The Rutland Burger - homemade burger, cooked medium-rare,

with mature cheddar cheese, moon blush tomatoes, gherkins and

thick cut chips. £5.75

Also available as a veggie burger! Same trimmings

Fish & Chips - Sheffield Brewery beer battered coley, with thick cut

chips, mushy peas and tartar sauce. Proper food in a proper pub! £6.00

Sausage & Mash - Sage & Onion sausages with creamy mash and

red wine gravy, topped with caramelised red onions. £5.00

Steak Pie - Homemade steak pie with thick cut chips and buttered

garden peas. £7.50

Vegetarian Shepherds Pie - A classic recipe, totally changed to be vegetarian. Served with dressed salad leaves. £6.50

see dessert board for selection of puddings

Edited by abe79
put menu on twice. doh!

Have just finished work and had bumptious burgers ! No argument - and ( sorry if you make them too but..) the best chips in Sheff. Gerrin'!

Went into the Rutland Arms last week to have a nose at the place. Excellent job, very very homely. Cant believe it was ever shut, looks and feels so comfy. Nice place to relax at the end of a working day, proper old fashioned pub with a brilliant juke box, loads of music. Plenty of good ales to choose from and top service from Jo and Andy at the bar! Food was nicer than I expected, home cooked chips - agree, the best in Sheff - along with HOME MADE BREAD no less!! Glad that someone heard the cry from an earlier post "There must be some publicans in the city who could see the potential of the place and keep it's 'traditional' character"? I for one am glad someone did!!.........Call in, see if you agree?

Just to update you - the real cider has arrived for the "cider festival" starting tomorrow till the first of November. Some sampling last night confirms it will be great (while stocks last).

Also on the chip front we now have Henderson's Relish for all those who asked - my apologies for not starting with this available.

I may well sample the Perry (not pear cider thankyou!)

Went in for a meal and a few drinks with a couple of friends last night and was very impressed. Although as others have reported, the more ornate decor and nick-nicks have long gone, it feels very welcoming and comfortable, and if you didn't know the Rutland's recent history you'd think it had been unchanged for years. A good beer selection as well; I stuck to the Sheffield Brewery Blanco Blonde, but there were I think 4 other ales on, and the prices were reasonable at around £2.50 a pint.

Food good and filling (if a little bit "safe" for now - it would be nice to see more than 4 meal options on the menu); I suspect I may be going back more regularly.

However, as this long-running thread has shown, there have been several false dawns in the Rutland's recent history; if we want proper pubs like this in the city centre we really need to be using them instead of the faceless genreric bland bars that dominate our streets (such as the nearby showroom bar and that student place in the old Popular Music centre, both of which looked busy as I passed on the way home).