Rutland Arms Closing? (Nope, it's reopened!)

Went in the other night, seemed quite busy. Nice to see they have got shut of all the junk on the shelves but everything else is the same.

Had a pint of Abyss - not sure who makes it (a local I think ?) but it was very drinkable. Seemed to be 5 or 6 cask ales on.

Oh and while we were there the barman gave us some cards inviting us to their grand reopening party, which is tomorrow night (Wednesday 28th) from 7pm - I'm presuming it's open to anyone. Apparently it features 7 real ales and a whopping great 10 real ciders!

Their email address is Rutlandarms@hotmail.co.uk if you want to know more.

Went in the other night, seemed quite busy. Nice to see they have got shut of all the junk on the shelves but everything else is the same.

Had a pint of Abyss - not sure who makes it (a local I think ?) but it was very drinkable. Seemed to be 5 or 6 cask ales on.

Abyss is indeed a local ale, brewed by The Brew Company.

Here you go.

Abyss is indeed a local ale, brewed by The Brew Company.

Here you go.

Ah, thanks. Not the most memorable name for a brewery, or the most legible on a pump clip.

Ah, thanks. Not the most memorable name for a brewery, or the most legible on a pump clip.

Not the most imaginitive, I agree, but it does what it says on the clip, I suppose. I really hope this incarnation of the Rutland succeeds.

If only you could reinstate the old menu from around 2005-6. That chicken in stilton and mushroom sauce was divine!

Indeed it was! You inspired me there, Basil, and I made some chicken in a mushroom, creme fraiche and gorgonzola sauce shortly after reading your post :)

Food was nicer than I expected, home cooked chips - agree, the best in Sheff - along with HOME MADE BREAD no less!!

There is nothing like home made bread; I make all ours, I get a lot of mental planning done whilst kneading dough. Yog said to me the other day "If one day you're a rich, successful publishing magnate, will you still make me home baked bread?"

Maybe he's only marrying me for my cooking.:suspect::hihi:

Oh and while we were there the barman gave us some cards inviting us to their grand reopening party, which is tomorrow night (Wednesday 28th) from 7pm - I'm presuming it's open to anyone. Apparently it features 7 real ales and a whopping great 10 real ciders!

Their email address is Rutlandarms@hotmail.co.uk if you want to know more.

I happened to be in during the latter half of the evening as I'm attending a theatre course every Wednesday atm, and it was a brilliant night! The staff were handing out pork sandwiches with crackling which was divine, and spoons of mashed potato with a sausage and gravy on. Absolutely brilliant. And once again, some of my favourite people in Sheffield were in there.

The Rutland being open again, and by a team who know what they're doing (all the staff have superb social skills) has improved the quality of our lives. It's like having The Crown and Two Chairmen (my fave pub in Soho) in Sheffield!

I happened to be in during the latter half of the evening as I'm attending a theatre course every Wednesday atm, and it was a brilliant night! The staff were handing out pork sandwiches with crackling which was divine.

Thanks, it was a great night and we all enjoyed working it as well. I believe the pork sandwiches are one of the chef's planned additions for the December menu.

Also thanks too everyone who came and tried the real cider - we will be keeping one a week on. This week Naish Farmhouse Dry (6%) from Somerset.

great thread this - i work in the hallam building next door to the pub, and as a new resident of Sheffield, i know virtually nobody, and nothing of the area.

i love reading the history of this pub, and will be along shortly to check it out, as i love my real ales, and like others, make all my own bread, so the rutland sounds like Valhalla. so if you see a bespectacled stubble covered arty type looking lonely at the bar, with a soft southern accent, that'll be me!

...Just a quickie, folks!

the Launch Meeting of the GALA Sheffield Gay Arts festival is on TONIGHT, from 7pm in the upstairs room at the Rutland; any artists among you, gay, lesbian or even straight, who want to get involved in this arts festival in May 2010, do come along!!!

See: http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=520804&highlight=GALA+Arts+Festival

Crickey! Not been around this forum for yonks and it's really good to see a thread I started THREE years ago is still going and had a brilliant outcome!! Will be down the Rutland very soon to try the food and ale.....cant wait!!:clap::banana:

Excellent little pub, went in there a couple of weeks ago and it's very nice, good beers and a nice atmosphere.

great thread this - i work in the hallam building next door to the pub, and as a new resident of Sheffield, i know virtually nobody, and nothing of the area.

i love reading the history of this pub, and will be along shortly to check it out, as i love my real ales, and like others, make all my own bread, so the rutland sounds like Valhalla. so if you see a bespectacled stubble covered arty type looking lonely at the bar, with a soft southern accent, that'll be me!

Moke, I work at SHU as well. I envy you having the Rutty next door. I'm right down in the Oneleven building now! Tsk!