Rutland Arms Closing? (Nope, it's reopened!)

:hihi: nice memories then!

I've never actually been in. But it looks great. They've flattened the building next to it, which I can't remember, but would be a great shame if they flattened it too.

It used to be a garage if you mean the one on Abbeydale Road ...... bugger knows what was down London Road past the snug entrance .......

To be fair, she's a great lass, just a shame it went wrong .......

Honest.

Very sad, but not surprising - it's been on the skids for getting on for a year now.

Sadly, indeed it has! The landlord has been been running out beers and lagers at various times, and the garden (which has previously won Sheffield in Bloom awards) has been looking sadly neglected all this year.

A mate of mine recently handed in his notice as a barman, and I understand several other staff have also recently left. I suspect that they saw the writing was on the wall for the future of the Rutland Arms.

Sadly, indeed it has! The landlord has been been running out beers and lagers at various times, and the garden (which has previously won Sheffield in Bloom awards) has been looking sadly neglected all this year.

A mate of mine recently handed in his notice as a barman, and I understand several other staff have also recently left. I suspect that they saw the writing was on the wall for the future of the Rutland Arms.

I've known Phil for ages, but not been able to get in for a pint for a while. I know he's been hacked off with Punch for ages, but this is such a special pub in town, and of course still offers accomodation.

Wasn't it run, ahem,in tandem, ahem, with the Kelham Island Tavern for a bit a few years back?

I think this pub is an example of a pub that may have ran its course. I rarely, (maybe once in the last year or 2) have taken anyone in my cab to it.

There's too many alternatives for the younger lot, and a few old regulars can't maintain what must be required to finance a city centre building.

If it's made into flats (which is the trend), I'm ok with that if it means not demolishing it.

I think this pub is an example of a pub that may have ran its course. I rarely, (maybe once in the last year or 2) have taken anyone in my cab to it.

There's too many alternatives for the younger lot, and a few old regulars can't maintain what must be required to finance a city centre building.

If it's made into flats (which is the trend), I'm ok with that if it means not demolishing it.

I disagree.

Most people who used it were in town working anyway, the rest came from the Showroom, etc. The problem is that the pub owning companies won't allow a pub to be run as a pub. The Beer Orders are the reason why so many historic pubs have gone now, in the name of what was meant to be more choice (of real ale at that) for the consumer, yet they have resulted in disaster.

I simply can't see another way for the pub to go but a hotel, or flats, but it would be a criminal loss to the city centre.

I disagree.

Most people who used it were in town working anyway, the rest came from the Showroom, etc. The problem is that the pub owning companies won't allow a pub to be run as a pub. The Beer Orders are the reason why so many historic pubs have gone now, in the name of what was meant to be more choice (of real ale at that) for the consumer, yet they have resulted in disaster.

I simply can't see another way for the pub to go but a hotel, or flats, but it would be a criminal loss to the city centre.

Yeah, my post post seemed to mean that 'flats is good'. I didn't mean that, I absolutely hate beaut ole pubs to close down. What I was meaning was, if it does close, I would hate to see it flattened.

Yeah, my post post seemed to mean that 'flats is good'. I didn't mean that, I absolutely hate beaut ole pubs to close down. What I was meaning was, if it does close, I would hate to see it flattened.

Verily, verily.

I stopped going a while back cause I got sick of going in on repeated Friday nights to find only one or two beers on and a bizarre sickly sweet bottled cider???? Real shame I used to love that place, food is still incredible though; hope the chef lets people know where they're off to.

Whenever I go out with a couple of former workmates, we always head for the Rutland and have the chicken in stilton and mushroom sauce. The food's great value but the beer's on the pricey side (something like £2.40 for Deuchars, which is only a 3.8% beer).

Would be a shame to lose it, as there's few other pubs in town with a bit of character and decent beer. Seems the 'arty' types that used to frequent the Rutland now prefer pretentious poncey wine bars such as the Showroom - a sad refection on the shallowness of modern drinkers.

Would be a shame to lose it, as there's few other pubs in town with a bit of character and decent beer. Seems the 'arty' types that used to frequent the Rutland now prefer pretentious poncey wine bars such as the Showroom - a sad refection on the shallowness of modern drinkers.

How true that is Basil! I'm a regular in The Dog & Partridge and Fagans which always seem to do well, the beer is always spot on and atmosphere great! Drinkers need to wake up and start fighting to keep pubs like the Rutland open, as someone said earlier 'Use them, or lose them!!'

Anyone know who's selling the lease?

I'll have it.

Anyone know who's selling the lease?

I'll have it.

Many months ago when i made very tentative enquiries, it was an agent called Davey and Co (http://www.daveyco.com). Don't know if that's still the case.