Rutland Arms Closing? (Nope, it's reopened!)

This was posted on another forum earlier this afternoon....

Just got an e-mail through today:

"The lovely Rutland is going to be closed down for good this friday (22nd) as the current owner is moving on

Please sign this petition to show your appreciation for the rutland the pub and hopefully help to keep it as a pub and not let it become a flattened pile of rubble like the yorkshire grey!!!

http://www.petitiononline.com/Rut123/petition.html

and please also pass this on!

many thanks!

http://www.myspace.com/savetherutland

Good pub the Rutland, would be a crying shame if we lost it.

Might be too late, but I urge as many people as possible to sign and try and save one of the few 'decent' city centre boozers.

That's a great shame!

I'll really miss the place. Had some great times there.

Suppose it'll end up as offices or something... :(

Another serious question - does anyone know if it's up for sale?

Oh no, I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope it can be saved

StarSparkle

I doubt myself if these things work, but you dont know unless you try. As for it being up for sale, I'm not sure. There must be some publicans in the city who could see the potential of the place and keep it's 'traditional' character?

Yeah I agree, lets hope it can be saved. I'll miss listening to Day Trip To Bangor during my lunchtime pint.

But dont fall into the same trap as most people who've signed the petition -- its NOT been announced that its going to be converted into flats or offices. The "IT SHOULD NEVER BECOME A BLOCK OF LUXURY APARTMENTS" comment is misleading. Its a statement of what shouldn't happen, not what is happening.

Yeah I agree, lets hope it can be saved. I'll miss listening to Day Trip To Bangor during my lunchtime pint.

But dont fall into the same trap as most people who've signed the petition -- its NOT been announced that its going to be converted into flats or offices. The "IT SHOULD NEVER BECOME A BLOCK OF LUXURY APARTMENTS" comment is misleading. Its a statement of what shouldn't happen, not what is happening.

True, that comment is misleading. You'd think that building would have some kind of listing to start with? It's a lovely old building.

I doubt myself if these things work

500,000 signing this petition and none of them willing and able to go and run the place, the petition won't work.

One single person who actually wants to buy the pub and run it, and the problem is solved.

I spent some very happy times there and a very thinly disguised version of the Rutland turns up in a few short stories I've written.

Unfortunately, in order to save it does require soemone to buy it and run it.

My piggy bank is distinctly empty for such an effort. :(

I hope somebody does buy it as it has been run into the ground in the last couple of years.

It was a bit poor the last time I was in...but it shouldnt close. Someone needs to take it on and turn it around.