Ipswich Murders - 5 girls dead and now 2 people arrested

According to the mirror headline in the bbc article, he syas he slept with the prostitutes, but has no alibi for the times of their deaths and was expecting to arrested, but didn't do it.

Given that the police released details fo the arrest, and then later details of the man, I guess they have something pretty strong on him.

Darbees - there are plenty of people who seem to like to confess to murders they didn't do, but the police usually keep key facts away from the media to make it easy to weed these ones out.

He seems to have sold out to the media tbh, and given his pic was plastered all over the papers I suppose it migth be bbest that the police give certain details out themselves and retain some control, before the friends/family and neighbours go shouting to the papers themselves.

In The Mirror.

I just hope the media can restrain themselves and don't prejudice the trial.

just read through it and he seems a very very strange man, perhaps his plan is be soo open about it that noone could possibly think hes guilty. made me shiver reading what he said!! weird!

just looked at his myspace and the music suddenly started!! he is the creepiest thing ive ever seen!! im almost in tears!!

I stand to be corrected but I don't think there can be sub-judice until the person has been charged. The police seem very confident but they have arrested people in high profile cases in a blaze of publicity before and found they had the wrong person such as the bomb factory in London. I think we need to wait a little while and see what happens.

Agreed - once charged, then the sub-judice laws come in. Prior to that, if there is a request to not publicise information, then I THINK you can be help up for contempt.

The Forum's view on this (as always, very conservative!! :) ) is in teh FAQs.

Given that the police released details fo the arrest, and then later details of the man, I guess they have something pretty strong on him.

It isn't the police that have released details of the man other then it was a man and he was 37. The media have done the rest themselves.

anyone whos looked at his myspace! how strange is this guy!! eugh, hes making me feel ill looking at it.

Agreed - once charged, then the sub-judice laws come in. Prior to that, if there is a request to not publicise information, then I THINK you can be help up for contempt.

I think that would have to be some sort of an injunction issued by a judge. Presumably SF is considered as media.

I think that would have to be some sort of an injunction issued by a judge. Presumably SF is considered as media.

We're in a weird no-man's land. :)

There should be an injunction, but we have voluntarily complied with local police requests on a few occasions. On a couple of local cases we would have hated to have been responsible for someone getting away with a serious crime.

So we play safe.

If the man arrested is indeed the guilty party he is very very clever by giving a volunantry interview to the sunday mirror he as pre-empted the police and will have stifled the police in this investigation.

we already know the murderer is very clever and leaves the victims naked to avoid leaving any forensic evidence and in leaving them in water most DNA will have washed away. And I doubt that he will have any forensic in the house or car, he is very competent, I would not be suprised if the man as had been involved with the criminal justice system from the interview with the sunday mirror he comes as fully aware of the of the police tactics. he may have been a police officer at some point in his life.

By giving the interview he has surrendered the right to anonmity IMO IF HE IS GUILTY a very shrewd move on his part.

The police knew of this man from the outset and their hands were tied they could not arrest him because of lack of proof.but with the benefit of hindsight they should have done. I think the police have allowed this man to manipulate the them.he was probably awaiting the arrest this morning.

the suffolk killer is in custody!
You were surprised at something I said in another thread. I'm surprised that you call him THE Suffolk killer when he hasn't been charged, let alone convicted. Hope you're right though.

his myspace account is easy to find. unless there is more than 1 tom stephens who works at tesco in ipswitch.

his myspace account is easy to find. unless there is more than 1 tom stephens who works at tesco in ipswitch.

more than one creepy strange man called tom from ipswich with the same age and job and picture!! god, i hope not. he has the creepiest music on there too, and pictures of himself with custard and mobility scooters!!