Sign in to follow this  

Help with a holly cutting!!

I have a rather generous cutting of holly, can anyone tell me the best way to establish it so i can grow it? Do i soak in water to allow roots to grow or do i plant straight away, also do they prefer a certain type of soil or compost???

Thanks Guys

I took a few holly cuttings back in august and put rooting powder on and planted them. So far they are all still green, however I've pulled a couple out and they seem to have no roots... If it's large enough you could try cutting it up and doing some in water and some in soil. That way you are hedging your bets.

Apparently the best way is to grow it from berries / seed, so worth getting out there and get some.

Good luck and keep us updated after all I need hints :)

Thanks Torin8,

The cutting i have is laiden with berries so do i just put them in soil?

Sorry to be a pest but not really a gardener!

Claire

The cutting i have is laiden with berries so do i just put them in soil?

Sorry to be a pest but not really a gardener!

Claire

Neither am I - but apparently I have a green thumb! You are not a pest at all - it's really nice to have people on here who are finding their way in gardening like me!

According to the lovely people on Gardeners Question time yes all you really need to do is put them in some nice compost / soil and give them a good water then just make sure the don't get too wet or too dry and they should germinate. Oh and it's probably better if you can keep them in something like a cold greenhouse or cold frame oustide instead of inside - they may need the cold to germinate.

So - give it a go :) Failing that I know a nice little nursery that sells holly plants for about £4 (that's my fallback plan ;)).

This is what my propagating plants book says:

Take hardwood or semi ripe cuttings around 3 in long with the top two leaves intact (remove others) and make a small wound in the base of the stem to stimulate rooting. This may take up to 3 months. Select material from current seasons growth that has partly ripened and take stem tip cuttings. You can use hormone rooting compound. Free draining compost and a frost free place should be used. It also suggests you provide bottom heat for hardwood cuttings taken in winter. Holly shoots darken as they ripen so avoid softwood shoots with lighter green leaves, look for a terminal bud that has stopped growing; if the bud is pale green the growth hormones are still concentrated at the tip rather than in the stem where they would help the cutting to root.

For seeds collect the berries in winter, clean off the flesh and sow at once.

Hope this makes sense!

thanks guys i will try and see what happens then i will let you know! The £4 ones sounds great!:thumbsup: