Pinochet Dead at last

What exactly was this help that Thatcher likes to go on about? The only event I am aware of is that they allowed a helicopter to refuel (and later be dumped) on their territory. Is there something else?

As you know Ken the helicopter incident was a special forces op and I think it's safe to say it probably wasn't a one of , other help will have been mainly in the intel field so is hardly going to be the stuff of public debate , one goverment would not have so publicly thanked another if the assistance given was not significant .

Does that outnumber the thousands he murdered? I find it hard to believe he saved that many lives...

If it saved one British sevice mans life it would be more than our so called European allies .

If it saved one British sevice mans life it would be more than our so called European allies .

This thread is about Pinochet, not Europe. Try and stick to the point.

It is certainly true that, whatever they did, it was more than any of our European allies or the yanks. However, they was been at war with the Argentines only a few years before and the motive was very much selfish in that they didn't want to be next. The rumour has always been that they provided radar information on the Argentine Air Force, but I have always been sceptical of this.

No! I'm not saying that at all, what I'm saying is that he did the atrocious crimes, he should've done time in the horrible-est Jail on the Planet for it, but he didn't did he?

My sincere apologies for misreading your post, Rich.

That's twice I have misunderstood someone's post within a few days. :loopy:

I'm getting ready for the Funny Farm, I think.

Once again, sorry about that. :help:

I wish I could say I'm sorry for this man's death, but unfortunately I am not. Also, even though it was Pinochet that requested these vile crimes no one has begun to criticise the American's involvement in this coup. Shouldn't they be made accountable in some way and be guitly for those deaths?!!

What exactly was this help that Thatcher likes to go on about? The only event I am aware of is that they allowed a helicopter to refuel (and later be dumped) on their territory. Is there something else?

Hi KenH,

Maybe I can help here. I heard one of Thatcher's Ministers on the radio ( Kenneth Baker? ) who was sorry to hear of this death.

He said that the principle thing that Pinochet did to help Britain, was prevent Chile from turning into a communist state during the cold war. A very strange answer from someone who could have set the record straight if any actual valuable military assistance was given during the Falklands Conflict.

When he was asked if he was sorry for the thousands of people tortured or killed during his dictatorship, he just waffled on about the army was in charge for too long and some officers took things to far. ?

The kind of weasel words and lies you would expect to hear from a holocaust denyer after WWII

It's disgusting to think that the UK supported such a despotic and cruel dictator. I'm just glad it was before my time, or I'd've made my vote count...

How on earth can a philosophy of 'an enemy of my enemy is my friend' work in these circumstances?

Just because fewer of 'our' people die than 'his' people die makes it alright?

Selfish and morally wrong. I'd've rather gone it alone. And all over a tiny island and some sheep :(

Listen to you lot gloating over the death of a human being.

At Christmas Winter Celebration time too :rolleyes:

We're more civilised than that in this country you know.

You'll be calling for the death penalty next.........

Listen to you lot gloating over the death of a human being.

At Christmas Winter Celebration time too :rolleyes:

We're more civilised than that in this country you know.

You'll be calling for the death penalty next.........

They would all be banned if they were referring to animals instead of humans :rolleyes:

It's disgusting to think that the UK supported such a despotic and cruel dictator. I'm just glad it was before my time, or I'd've made my vote count...

How on earth can a philosophy of 'an enemy of my enemy is my friend' work in these circumstances?

Welcome to the real world. You need allies, and you can't pick and choose when there's only one country in the place where you need an ally.

That said, given that he's been out of power for however long, it's disheartening to know that the people who allied with him out of necessity, aren't prepared to admit so. It's a long time since anyone tried to claim that Stalin was a great and good leader just because he was on our side...