Pinochet Dead at last

Ex-Chilean dictator Pinochet dies at 91

SANTIAGO, Chile — Gen. Augusto Pinochet, who overthrew Chile's democratically elected Marxist president in a bloody coup and ruled this Andean nation for 17 years, died Sunday, dashing hopes of victims of his regime's abuses that he would be brought to justice. He was 91.

Pinochet suffered a heart attack a week ago and underwent an angioplasty, and the brief announcement by the Santiago Military hospital said his condition worsened suddenly on Sunday. Dr. Juan Ignacio Vergara, spokesman for the medical team that had been treating him, said his family was with him when he died.

Police ringed the hospital, but a small group of Pinochet supporters remained at the entrance, shouting insults at people in passing cars. The supporters, including some weeping women, repeatedly called out "Long Live Pinochet!" and sang Chile's national anthem.

Chile's government says at least 3,197 people were killed for political reasons during his rule, but after leaving the presidency in 1990 Pinochet escaped hundreds of criminal complaints because of his declining physical and mental health.

Pinochet took power on Sept. 11, 1973, demanding an unconditional surrender from President Salvador Allende as warplanes bombed the presidential palace in downtown Santiago. Instead, Allende committed suicide with a submachine gun he had received as a gift from Fidel Castro.

As the mustachioed Pinochet crushed dissent during his 1973-90 rule, he left little doubt about who was in charge. "Not a leaf moves in this country if I'm not moving it," he once said.

Hopefully it wasn't painless

Ex-Chilean dictator Pinochet dies at 91

SANTIAGO, Chile — Gen. Augusto Pinochet, who overthrew Chile's democratically elected Marxist president in a bloody coup and ruled this Andean nation for 17 years, died Sunday, dashing hopes of victims of his regime's abuses that he would be brought to justice. He was 91.

Pinochet suffered a heart attack a week ago and underwent an angioplasty, and the brief announcement by the Santiago Military hospital said his condition worsened suddenly on Sunday. Dr. Juan Ignacio Vergara, spokesman for the medical team that had been treating him, said his family was with him when he died.

Police ringed the hospital, but a small group of Pinochet supporters remained at the entrance, shouting insults at people in passing cars. The supporters, including some weeping women, repeatedly called out "Long Live Pinochet!" and sang Chile's national anthem.

Chile's government says at least 3,197 people were killed for political reasons during his rule, but after leaving the presidency in 1990 Pinochet escaped hundreds of criminal complaints because of his declining physical and mental health.

Pinochet took power on Sept. 11, 1973, demanding an unconditional surrender from President Salvador Allende as warplanes bombed the presidential palace in downtown Santiago. Instead, Allende committed suicide with a submachine gun he had received as a gift from Fidel Castro.

As the mustachioed Pinochet crushed dissent during his 1973-90 rule, he left little doubt about who was in charge. "Not a leaf moves in this country if I'm not moving it," he once said.

Hopefully it wasn't painless

Good riddance........and not before time! :mad:

As someone who was tortured by him said on the radio:

A lot of people will be glad he's dead, but a lot of people will be angry and sad that he died before he was brought to justice.

hear hear.

As someone who was tortured by him said on the radio:

"A lot of people will be glad he's dead, but a lot of people will be angry and sad that he died before he was brought to justice."

hear hear.

It's not often that I agree with you, TeaFan, but in this case -

Hear, hear

StarSparkle

I saw on the news that our government put out a statement saying something to the effect " We know he's dead; thing got much better after he was deposed"

No love lost there then.

SANTIAGO, Chile — Gen. Augusto Pinochet, who overthrew Chile's democratically elected Marxist president in a bloody coup and ruled this Andean nation for 17 years, died Sunday,

Well think of the bright side he got rid of the marxists.

He did the crimes, he should have done the time for it.. But alas no, he popped his clogs before they could get him for it, oh well, I suppose it's OK that he died under his own steam than to be assassinated by some barmpot having a pop at him, and I'm sure there would be plenty of "barmpots" who'd willingly go down for having a pop at Gen. Pinochet.

He did the crimes, he should have done the time for it.. But alas no, he popped his clogs before they could get him for it, oh well, I suppose it's OK that he died under his own steam than to be assassinated by some barmpot having a pop at him, and I'm sure there would be plenty of "barmpots" who'd willingly go down for having a pop at Gen. Pinochet.

So, Rich......all round, he was a good chap we should be proud to know? :suspect:

So, Rich......all round, he was a good chap we should be proud to know? :suspect:

No! I'm not saying that at all, what I'm saying is that he did the atrocious crimes, he should've done time in the horrible-est Jail on the Planet for it, but he didn't did he?

Ex-Chilean dictator Pinochet dies at 91.

Ha ,but is he really dead .Wait for the theories to start rolling in .

Ex-Chilean dictator Pinochet dies at 91.

Ha ,but is he really dead .I think it's a hoax so that he does not have to answer for his crimes .I believe he's actualy hiding away in a caravan in skeggy .:hihi:

he'd be too old to hide...even in skeggy :P

[mod note] can we stick to Pinochet not turn it into another Thatcher hate thread - thankyou :)