Your best gig this year?

Bellowhead at Buxton Opera House in October - bonkers infectious big band "folk" music with pogoing fiddlers - happily much of it is on You Tube.

They're playing Sheffield next February - can't wait

cant pick just one, so indulge me while I lay out my top 5 gigs of 2008.

1. Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds @ Manchester Apollo. this was a stormer of a gig, inspiring on so many levels and a great night out.

2. Gemma Ray/The Koenig/Steve Fketcher @ the Boardwalk. This was the gig that for myself and Jim, confirmed that we are justified in our total belief in our songs, and our live show, we played out of our skins and had a great night.

3. King Creosote @ the Boardwalk. Probably the most underrated singer/songwriter in the UK right now, down to earth and atmospheric, worth every penny and again, isnpiring for any singer.

4. Darkside of The Lounge @ Fiesta Brunete, Spain. classic pop and rock songs, twisted in a lounge/jazz/blues/world music stylee, in front of a festival crowd in Spain, it'll never work.... Au Contraire, it rocked!

5. Alabama 3 / Orange 38 @ Plug. Brilliant brilliant brilliant! nuff said. Big respect to Paddy O and the gang, big love to tha bama 3.

lets see what 2009 brings :)

Finally got to see Roisin Murphy at the Manchester Academy last Friday. She was amazing. :love:

Kings of leon but mainly for We are Scientists!

Are WAS supporting on the UK tour? I thought that was just in the US?

Are WAS supporting on the UK tour? I thought that was just in the US?

Bottoms! You are right. Ages ago I said it was M83 then I heard it was WAS and was gutted I'd paused and hesitated on a ticket. I obviously need to listen a little more carefully.

Don't mind that I'm not going now.

Bottoms! You are right. Ages ago I said it was M83 then I heard it was WAS and was gutted I'd paused and hesitated on a ticket. I obviously need to listen a little more carefully.

Don't mind that I'm not going now.

I did the same! WAS are one of my fave bands so was dead excited because I thought maybe they'd extend it to the UK tour as well but they haven't. I read about M83 a while ago.

Back on the subject of WAS, Keith is on Buzzcocks tomorrow night - I'll definately be watching and Sky+-ing that. He's so pretty, and VERY funny, I think he'll give Simon Amstell a run for his money!

I did the same! WAS are one of my fave bands so was dead excited because I thought maybe they'd extend it to the UK tour as well but they haven't. I read about M83 a while ago.

Back on the subject of WAS, Keith is on Buzzcocks tomorrow night - I'll definately be watching and Sky+-ing that. He's so pretty, and VERY funny, I think he'll give Simon Amstell a run for his money!

Cheers for the heads up! :) Agree with everything you've said, especially about the Yorkshire Puddings. ;)

I haven't been to the best gig of the year yet-it's going to be The Pogues next friday.

My Blood Valentine - Manchester Apollo

Mind and ear blowing

yes! i was there, they ****ing destroyed... amazing gig

I haven't been to the best gig of the year yet-it's going to be The Pogues next friday.

Don't count on it. Shane's glory days have long gone - and let's face it he could scarcely sing back in the day....it might be a shambles.

Gutted to be missing the Pogues, but Halibut could be right. Shane's a very hit and miss artiste! However, that said, it'll be worth watching just to see the rest of the band - such amazing musicians, last time I saw them everyone played everything, swapping between songs and sometimes during songs. Fantastic. :thumbsup:

Don't count on it. Shane's glory days have long gone - and let's face it he could scarcely sing back in the day....it might be a shambles.

Last year at Manchester they were as good as I've ever seen them.The band get better and better and Shane seems now to know his limitations-two or three vocal numbers followed by an instrumental while he went off to have a rest! In the past I've seen them do gigs where he's sat cross legged on the floor,unable to stand.Yes he forgets the words now and then,but what fantastic words they are!