WANTED war stories from the people who lived it

The past year has made me think about why we are all here and it's all the old people walking around, there everyday lives, kids being rude, it's so maddening to think that what they did for our country is un recognised and i want to write about what male and female went through, so i'd love to hear from people preferably who lived it or if you can put me in touch with the people who did

THANKYOU

running away from Fullwood home's,our bigest problem was geting something to eat,no deed was too low for us, from scrounging around the anderson's or bombed home's looking for food.We had two ways of getting money 1 was to ask for lost tram fare, aways good for a little, And 2 & i still cringe steal the flowers off the grave's & sell them at the front gate ,Iknow i sold the same bunch twice more than once.With cash in hand we could often get some shop keeper to give us a loaf of bread(mum will bring the coupons around Later) apple's didn't need coupons, anything to survive a few more days

I used to live on Hatfieldhouse Lane, on one ocassion a land mine ( a bomb attached to a parachute and arranged to explode in the air, giving a wider area of blast damage) went of above the Flower estate .The bombed out people were passing our house with what remained of their belongings in prams & hand carts. I remember my mother was upset to see these poor people.

I used to live on Hatfieldhouse Lane, on one ocassion a land mine ( a bomb attached to a parachute and arranged to explode in the air, giving a wider area of blast damage) went of above the Flower estate .The bombed out people were passing our house with what remained of their belongings in prams & hand carts. I remember my mother was upset to see these poor people.
I lived on Shiregreen Lane at the time of that land mine event, only the ESC (English Steel Corperation)sports ground stood between us and the Flower Estate..The blast took out all our back windows.

I was only two years old at the time but my Mum told me all about it many times later.

The blitz was on December the 13th, thursday night and also sunday the 16th I think 1941 which of course is 65 years ago.

The blitz was on December the 13th, thursday night and also sunday the 16th I think 1941 which of course is 65 years ago.
The first blitz was Thursday, December 12th 1940, followed by another one on the following Sunday. During the Thursday raid much of the city centre was destroyed, especially the Moor. My older brother was in the thick of it as a boy scout running messages to civil defence posts

On the Sunday night we were sitting in our house with some friends playing cards, when my brother said he could hear aircraft,just as the sirens went off. Five minutes later we ruxshed under the stairs as a stick of bombs fell. The last one destroyed our house with us in it. We had to dig ourselves out and run across the street to Tinsley school which was then set on fire by incendiary bombs.

Further to the war stories, we had a line of incendary bombs dropped along Hatfield House Lane, fotunately they all landed in the gardens. People were dashing all over the place putting them out.We were issued with stirrup pumps, we kids were expected to do the pumping. The Germans then invented an exploding incendary, the person at the nozzle end was advised to take cover behind a chair or similar.It was'nt till much later I realised we pumping kids were standing upright 6ft from the nozzle end.Fotunately , for me & my mates, we did'nt have any exploding incendaries to deal with.

Further to the war stories, we had a line of incendary bombs dropped along Hatfield House Lane, fotunately they all landed in the gardens. People were dashing all over the place putting them out.We were issued with stirrup pumps, we kids were expected to do the pumping. The Germans then invented an exploding incendary, the person at the nozzle end was advised to take cover behind a chair or similar.It was'nt till much later we pumping kids were standing upright about 6ft from the nozzle.Fortunately for me & my mates we did'nt get any exploding ones.

My uncle was in the Army & was rescued at Dunkirk. He heard of the thursday blitz & came home to see if we all were OK.On the Sunday blitz he was at home I sat next to him in the Andersen shelter, during the bombing I could feel him shaking. I suppose the bombing reminded him of Dunkirk, so it was understandable

:thumbsup: Thankyou to everyone that has submitted there stories, keeep them coming, that's what i'm asking for everybody's real stories, despite how un interesting you think it may be, thankyou so much, my grandad fought in the war, had a lot of painful memories,and lost a lot of close friends, nov 11th every year was his silent day, can't imagine what he went through , he died in 97' aged 94 and still his feat went unnoticed, it is for him and people like him male or female that this book when finished will be dedicated......

Thankyou to everyone and i wish you a merry christmas and a wonderful new year