Who's the best BJJ team in Sheffield/area?

This topic was started about BJJ. This is what i practice. I questioned some of the statements out of genuine interest.

I then tried to bring it back on topic.

Regardless, i do still think it's naive, possibly even stupid to think you can defend yourself against weapons.

I keep on getting presented with "what if" scenarios. What if it is a crazed shizophrenic. Do you think you are sufficiently trained for this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/december/9/newsid_2543000/2543755.stm

You train in the hope that you'll never have to apply anything you learn.

Hopefully i'll never be cornered with a knife. Hopefully two big blokes will never decide to use me as a punchbag and hopefully i'll never end up wrestling a single guy wearing lycra or a Gi on a matted floor.

If any of the above happens I've at least trained in something that gives me experience of that situation. I'd rather have that than just an opinion that if someone corners me with a knife it's time to say my prayers.

If you apply that strategy to everything then you'd be better off in a running club than doing BJJ surely? Presumably you'd agree that running is a better defence than wrestling on the floor if attacked without a weapon?

Yes i agree that running is a best plan in most cases, weapon or not.

I am too pretty for fighting and generally steer clear. But the running would be boring.

Hi Fingercuffs

No probs bro!

Remember though, sometimes you can,t run or your mate, wife,child etc cannot run as fast as you.

You may have to fight , there are some crazy ****ers in this world.

Hope you find your answers bro !!!

Craig

No probs bro!

Remember though, sometimes you can,t run or your mate, wife,child etc cannot run as fast as you.

You may have to fight , there are some crazy ****ers in this world.

Good points. A friend of mine who is a manager of a supermarket was recently a victim of an armed robbery. Two guys had machetes. The company policy is always to give them what they want, no heroes etc. There were two female staff so no choice of running.

Ultimately everything was ok, although he was ****** that he couldnt do anything, i still think there was nothing he could have done. My concern is that in this scenario, had he had some instruction. Rather than do what he did (which was the right thing), he could have tried to be a hero. TO save the stores cash and to protect the two women. He would have been maimed or killed.

However, it is a good point about friends and family. Should this situation ever arise. I would be quite prepared to put my life on the line to protect those dearest to me and would just turn into a whirling mist of fury and dismiss those fools :D .

So you are saying that you have never experienced the most basic of human instincts, the reaction that kept cavemen alive. The fight or flight syndrome is prevalent in the entire animal kingdom and possibly makes the difference between those species that are extinct and those that are here today.

Of course I have. The first few times I had to get up in the middle of the mat and do stuff in front of others was terrifying. But you get used to it. And the levels of danger/threat increase as you get better and you get used to it.

But the main difference is you have time to think about the frightening thing you are going to do and hence the butterflies. In reality, it happens and your [trained] relexes kick in and you are too busy dealing with the situation to panic. But you also learn how to stay calm and focused under pressure. On the several occasions I remember, I was very detached and not frightened, more irritated by the bully than anything else. If anything I remember thinking how interesting it was to be able to try out my MA skills.

You admit to having no experience of what you doubt works. I've tried it and it can work. Been other clubs and the training doesn't - such as the clip you linked to. Which started with fake rubbish attacks, so no surprise the guy got flattened. If you do real attacks, where you will get punched/kicked if you don't don't do something, you learn pretty quickly to look after yourself. Getting people to attack properly is the hardest though. Esp Uni students!

Regardless, i do still think it's naive, possibly even stupid to think you can defend yourself against weapons.
My next door but one neighbour back home was murdered by her crazed chef with a meat cleaver. It was a take away restaurant BTW. My cousin had just walked in and witnessed what happened.

Now if she had done some weapon training, she would have reacted differently to how she did and may have avoided the worst of the attack and possibly survived. As it was she simply stayed in place and lifted arm up. Not a good defence. Many 'natural' instincts to a blade attack are simply not good. Unlearning these in a safe environment and learning the right moves/reflexes will give you a better chance when things are less safe.

Not use of the phrase better chance. Would a better chance of not dying be a good thing compared to no chance?

Having been faced with both knives and guns in Northern Ireland my experience is the adrenalin dump you get means that you lose all your fine motor skills. The knife defences I have been taught in karate and traditional ju jitsu are based on fine motor movements. I have never been taught a knife defence that I think will work in real life. Karl Tanswell 'stab' programme has been mentioned and I would be interested to see it and if Lotar gives me details of his club I would love to come watch, (this is the beauty of this forum) and hopefully learn.

I agree with themadrev.

Just as a point of note, Karl Tanswell is extremely good at what he does and has many years of experience in BJJ, reality based self defence and sefl defence against weapons. I am of the understanding that a few years back he was the victim of a knife attack. Anyone know anything about this? It would be interesting to know, as i would consider someone of his kaliber to be well prepared for such a situation, yet it seems it did not stand him in good stead

Hi Madrev

Check out our website, http://www.kapapsheffield.co.uk

Anyone genuinely interested come along, We have various other martial artists and instructors train with us, even a couple of BJJ guys.

Our only criteria is leave all ego,s at the door !!!!

I look forward to meeting and training with you.

Just as a point of note, Karl Tanswell is extremely good at what he does and has many years of experience in BJJ, reality based self defence and sefl defence against weapons. I am of the understanding that a few years back he was the victim of a knife attack. Anyone know anything about this? It would be interesting to know, as i would consider someone of his kaliber to be well prepared for such a situation, yet it seems it did not stand him in good stead

I knew a veruy good MA who told some amusing stories about real fights.

One he did Shotokan Karate and when attacked did the most perfect series of punches. His opponent look a bit baffled and hit him very hard. Every perfect shotokan punch was pulled and caused no harm.

Two - after learning something more useful, another confrontation. He was ****** [v.drunk] and every punch missed.

I can't find any references to Karl having been attacked with a knife. Link maybe?

Just watched a video of the stab seminar in copenhagen, his techniques wouldn't look completely out of place on my mat, and his training methods seem to be very similar, apart from having the kit to pad someone up which I don't have.