Who's the best BJJ team in Sheffield/area?

Lol you gotta love how fedor tears up the rule book. His chosen method for escaping the triangle choke: punch you in the face until you let go!

I'm amazed sometimes that what he does works so incredibly well, because half of it goes against commonly accepted technique altogether - he doesn't have a boxing guard or really defend himself all that much - everything seems to be pure aggression. Does the job though! And blatantly he does have excellent technique in terms of grappling.

So much of fighting is in fitness / strength though - I'm still hurting from getting torn up by someone bigger, stronger and fitter but not necessarily better than me a couple of weeks ago, and decided to turn over a new leaf with training and go for strength a bit more. This admittedly amounts to me doing a few press ups at home every now and then, but it does seem to make a difference!

so which is better? people have mentioned Royce Gracie Dronfields MMA success, this interests me a lot as it is the optimal goal for seeing if ones training is paying off. which fighters do they have and which events have they fought on? my ultimate goal is to win T.U.F reality show.

Mark and Chris have both fought from RGJJN, I don't know if anyone else from the club has. I've trained with both of the above quite a few times, great guys and always good to see them / get some training in. A couple of people from Gracie Barra have also dabbled in MMA and also had a good level of success in BJJ competitions. I don't know much about the black belts there but suspect they've had more than their fair share of competitions, again I don't know if any of these will have been MMA.

There isn't really anywhere in Sheffield specifically catering to MMA as far as I know - odd as there are quite a few places here in Manchester.

Mark and Chris have both fought, I don't know if anyone else from the club has. I've trained with both of the above quite a few times, great guys and always good to see them / get some training in. A couple of people from Gracie Barra have dabbled in MMA (John and Greg spring to mind, may be more) and also had a good level of success in BJJ competitions. I don't know much about the black belts there but suspect they've had more than their fair share of competitions, again I don't know if any of these will have been MMA.

There isn't really anywhere in Sheffield specifically catering to MMA as far as I know - odd as there are quite a few places here in Manchester.

After studying a traditional MA for several years I tried out the Royce Gracie club in Dronfield (train Monday & Wednesday) a few months ago. All I can say is try it out I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Excellent instructors ( Steve, Mark & Lynn) who are more than happy to spend a great deal of time with beginners if thats what you are - plus all who attend are very welcoming, friendly and helpful.

Why not just try both out both BJJ clubs and see what you think. Then make your decision.

There is a MMA comp in Feb 07 in which a few lads from our club will be competing; so why not attend and see if their standard is up to your lofty aspirations (are you serious about TUF?).

so which is better? people have mentioned Royce Gracie Dronfields MMA success, this interests me a lot as it is the optimal goal for seeing if ones training is paying off. which fighters do they have and which events have they fought on? my ultimate goal is to win T.U.F reality show.

Not very often that i do this but I am going put my bit into this:)

I think the point has been missed slightly and loyalty to clubs my have sneak in slightly. I don’t intent to promote either club but will attempt to spread a little light.

Firstly I think wanttolearn was asking in a round about way where to get the best tuition and as much as you like the club your at lets face it no one who knows anything about the sport would ever argue the credentials of the Black Belts teaching at Gracie Barra, just as no one would question Royce's.

and

MMA means nothing to this thread what so ever:gag:

Why anyone would bring mma as an argument for someone’s talent at bjj is beyond me, the number one grappler in the world, Roger Gracie has only just competed in mma! Would you choose to question him??

Once a week there is a Black Belt teaching at Gracie Barra Sheffield, both having recieved there Black Belts from Carlos Gracie jn! Train with them as it will be the best training in bjj you will get in Sheffield!! No Contest:thumbsup:

In response to the first question i think we should all have a royal rumble type event. Then maybe have some tag team matches and then some TLC matches. We all have to grow our hair really long and pump the roids for a bit first.

:P

The thing that makes me laugh about this thread is that i am the first person who actually trains at one of the clubs to post. :hihi:

Know why?!?!?! Cause we don't care who is the best? We all train with our mates and have fun doing it. I train at Gracie Barra because i have massive ties to it and have done for years. (Not just in Sheffield)

This is all a load of b0LL0cks and the people who don't even train bjj have absolutely no opinion. However they are the majority of posters. Unless you have trained at all the clubs in sheffield you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Shall we all stand in a circle and get our knobs out to see whose is the biggest too. (Think i'd win that one tho) Or get our dads to come out???

It makes me laugh how people hide behind avatars because they are afraid to say things out in the open. Everyone knows who i am and if they don't my name is Paul Cole, i am 22 years old, weigh 64 kg and i'm a purple belt in BJJ. I am the youngest person to be awarded that honour by Braulio Estima (3 time World Champion, 5 time Pan American Champion, and 2006 World Cup champion. He has won major titles at every belt) I am at Gracie Barra's academy all the time and teach there monday nights 6 - 8pm.

Also, to the guy who says that a blue belt cannot teach... thanks for your support of barra but you don't know what you're talking about. A man called Ze Radiola in Brazil was last year voted Gracie Barra's most successful instructor ever outside of Rio de Janiero. He has 10 world champions to date, Braulio being one. He started teaching Braulio when he was himself a blue belt and has taken him and a lot of his friends to gold medals. If you have trained at Barra up until recently you will majorly been taught by a blue belt. A blue belt is not an easy thing to get and it takes a lot of mat time and a decent knowledge of the basic techniques. I respect anyone who ties one around their waist.

Sorry for the rant guys.

PS All BJJ derives from Gracie Barra. Look at the history of it. There isn't a place in the world who's roots don't go back to Gracie Barra Rio de Janiero.

thanks jon. you have made me look a liar by posting while i was typing my reply.

Your typing skills are obviously far superior to my own. PLEASE..... YOU MUST TEACH ME THE WAY OF THE FAST FINGER ON MONDAY!!!!

PS Is it due to all the tapping you do that you type so fast???? HAHAHAHAHAHA

Is it just me or did this thread turn in to quite a good one...... i would have put money on fisticuffs by bed time, well done to all involved for being grown up and not making anything personal.

just for the record 3 fighters from RGs have fought MMA and all have won, and in the last BJJ comp 4 out of 6 Barra fighters got medals, but all had tough fights.

so make up you own mind Royce students train at Barra and Barra students train at Royce, we all train together. its how we get so good :hihi:

but Barra students are better looking (we don't get hit in the face):hihi:

Oh dear!! You will pay for that tiny:thumbsup:

And Gregg you a fart!

Unfortunatly it shows one again the lack of understanding people have that are new to and outside the sport so I second the wee man, if you dont train in the sport or have very little experiance in the sport butt out and let the guys that have a clue what there talkin about just give the facts not personal bias.

Go train at both, make sure you train with Lagarto and Ben as oftern as poss and dont miss a Royce seminar!!!:D