Cairn on Totley Moor

Who started the building of, or re-builds or adds stones to the cairn that stands on Totley Moors above the Pickford Holland Brickworks and Totley Ranges.

If no one knows now. I bet if I push them down, Someone will!!??

There seems to be a violent hatred of people starting cairns, but the modern rambling tradition is just as much a part of our national heritage as those who built up cairns generations ago. We shouldn't keep the countryside stuck at an arbitrary point in time. One day our current country habits will seem quaint and interesting to those in many years to come.

There seems to be a violent hatred of people starting cairns, but the modern rambling tradition is just as much a part of our national heritage as those who built up cairns generations ago. We shouldn't keep the countryside stuck at an arbitrary point in time. One day our current country habits will seem quaint and interesting to those in many years to come.

I'd just like to know. Why it has been built.

It as been there for many years and it is fairly often re-built or repaired. Though I often look, but I've never seen anyone doing any re-building.

I thought initially that it was a marker for the Chesterfield, Dronfield - Hathersage Bridleway but I haven't come across any information supporting this.

At the Sheepfold on Totley Moss near to the Grid Point, a cottage was built at sometime in the 1600 - 1800. Its foundations can still be seen.

But who lived there?

(He couldn't have liked close neighbours!!!)

(That's a joke by the way!!)

Hi,

The best place for this kind of info is the local history section of Sheff Central library on surrey street. They have maps to locate the site, and trade directories and census returns which may list the occupants of the cottage. You can pop in and ask the staff (they're really helpful), or email them:

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/in-your-area/libraries/find/all-libraries/local-studies-library

Cheers,

fern.

Who started the building of, or re-builds or adds stones to the cairn that stands on Totley Moors above the Pickford Holland Brickworks and Totley Ranges.

If no one knows now. I bet if I push them down, Someone will!!??

The walk from Grindleford next Sunday 14 January. 2007 will pass close to this