1970's shops in sheffield

deano

Violet May's was on the corner of Matilda Street and Matilda Way, just 50 yards from The Moor. She was an old lady with an amazing memory. I searched for an album called 'Lizard' by King Crimson circa 1972 and couldn't find it but she went straight to it. The price was exactly £3.59p, as decimalisation had been recently introduced. Sexy Rexy's was just a few yards up Cambridge Street on the right hand side.

I too remember Sexy Rexys, used to buy loads of clobber there. Anyone also remember Tramps on King Street? Bradleys did have 3 shops in town. There was the Chapel Walk branch and one on Fargate but I can't remember the location of the other one. Pauldens did become Debenhams, I worked there briefly just after the name change.
The other Bradleys was on Pinstone St.The shop on Chapel Walk where you went downstairs became Vallances in the 70's.

I@m not sure about Debenhams being Pauldons but the name does ring a bell.

I know the name of the big shop which is where Argos is now, on Angel St, changed it's name from Cockaynes to something but it eludes me which one of them it was.

I remember Pauldens ... I'm sure it did become Debenhams.

I think the shop on Angel St you are thinking of was Schofield's.

I@m not sure about Debenhams being Pauldons but the name does ring a bell.

I know the name of the big shop which is where Argos is now, on Angel St, changed it's name from Cockaynes to something but it eludes me which one of them it was.

Yes Debenham was Paulden's originally sheshe.:thumbsup: