1970's shops in sheffield

deano

Was just having a conversation about old shops in sheffield,does anybody remember Sexy rexys? am i right in thinking it was near cole brothers?

Also Bradleys records,am i correct in thinking there was about three branches in a very small area of town?

Lastly was debenhams once called Pauldens?

I'm not that old,just have distant memories of these places :D

I remember the shops but can't recall the locations, the shop i remember most is Harringtons, i used to by my oxford bags there.

Have a browse through some of the old threads on here using the search button deano, there are some brilliant threads for bringing back the memories.

Fashion focus!... every time i pass the Manor top i try to remember the name of that place.

I have never been in but it just seemed to have been there forever.

A lot changed in the years i was away from Sheff but i often get transported back in my mind when i hear a long forgotten name.

That reminded me of a small sweet shop or newspaper shop further down city rd (next to the music store) which was owned by the family of 'Saxons' drummer.

I was into rock music back then and Saxon were quite big at the time, that would be late seventies though.

Can anybody recall Colvins when they were on Waingate?

I used to buy Ben Sherman shirts there in the late 60s when they were actually made in the states, the real mcoy. Levi jeans were 3 guineas and were not pre-shrunk as now. What a job they were to buy one size too big and then sit in the bath with them on to let them shrink to fit.

I remember one of the first "boutiques" in Sheffield it was calle Lift Up Your Skirts and Fly, and it was on that little road that runs off Church Street, and goes up to Leopold Street, can't remember the name of the road. The shop used to be ulta groovey, to me a 17 year old. Mind you that might have been the 60's

Did Cann the Music Man become Bradleys or was that a separate shop (Chapel Walk). I remember going in there to buy a stylus. I think it was near the bend in chapel walk and you had to go downstairs. What was that record shop called next to the Albert on Cambridge Street, near Coles? They used to sell a few T shirts and clothes too. Also Wilson Peck (essential for tickets for gigs). Jean Genie, Peter Robinson which sold Biba makeup, Pippys of course (there was a whole thread on this). The stationers on the moor (Quadrant?) which always had a great stock of posters. More obscure, Vivien Smith Simply Clothes on Pinstone Street, or was that early 80s?