Wireless router help

i bought one yesterday and the guy in the shop said it was easy to install,just pop the cd in the drive and follow the instructions........well ive got stuck at stage 1:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

its saying my pc isn't connected to the internet,but it is,where am i going wrong?

can you tell us a few details

who is your ISP, is it broadband or dial up, if it's broadband is it a cable service or down a phone line

and

what wireless router have you got, make and model preferably

Have you connected your internet cable (from your modem or router or such) to your new wireless router, then connected the wireless router to your PC?

my isp is telewest broadband and the router is a netgear 54 mbps WGR614 v6,i havn't connected to the router yet because it says don't till instructed to do so:confused:

Oh right, I thought you'd started setting it up. :P

I have Telewest too; do you have one of those Motorola Surfboard things? If so, is if connected to your PC by USB or Ethernet cable?

Oh right, I thought you'd started setting it up. :P

I have Telewest too; do you have one of those Motorola Surfboard things? If so, is if connected to your PC by USB or Ethernet cable?

Ethernet cable

Power down the modem (take the power cable out the back) and leave it off for a min or two then connect the modem to the router in the correct port before powering both on. If you don't power down the cable modem it won't recognise the MAC address of the router and won't try and get a DHCP lease (IP address). Once that's done you should be able to go through the router setup.

yep what fnkysknky said

power down

connect cable modem to the WAN socket on the back of the router with a UTP cable

then connect the PC to any of the other ports on the router with another UTP cable

then power up the cable modem and wait a few seconds while it sorts itself out, count to ten should be more than enough

then the router and wait again

then the PC and you should be rocking

yep what fnkysknky said

power down

connect cable modem to the WAN socket on the back of the router with a UTP cable

then connect the PC to any of the other ports on the router with another UTP cable

then power up the cable modem and wait a few seconds while it sorts itself out, count to ten should be more than enough

then the router and wait again

then the PC and you should be rocking

i have the same router as this guy, or rather bought one for g/f..my pronlem is that it asks for server isp and password...we enter what we think are correct ones but it wont let us get any further....her daughters computer is already connected to a single socket router and if i take the cable from hers and put into her mothers then her mother gets internet so it is router connected, i dare not uninstall on her daughters because if i cant get the new one working on that i may not get the old one reinstalled......is the isp and password totally needed to connect this new one ??

thanks

i have the same router as this guy, or rather bought one for g/f..my pronlem is that it asks for server isp and password...we enter what we think are correct ones but it wont let us get any further....her daughters computer is already connected to a single socket router and if i take the cable from hers and put into her mothers then her mother gets internet so it is router connected, i dare not uninstall on her daughters because if i cant get the new one working on that i may not get the old one reinstalled......is the isp and password totally needed to connect this new one ??

thanks

no one have any ideas to help me ?...another frustrateing weekend trying to figure it out

Ok you lost me at ... "i have the same router as this guy" .. is the router asking for its own username and password ... if it is NETGEAR default username and passwords are ... Username: admin .. Password: Password or 1234 ...

Like here .. http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n100651.asp

Col ..

Ok you lost me at ... "i have the same router as this guy" .. is the router asking for its own username and password ... if it is NETGEAR default username and passwords are ... Username: admin .. Password: Password or 1234 ...

Like here .. http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n100651.asp

Col ..

dont think so but will try that next week, and if that fails will be a bit more precise with details..thanks