Sign in to follow this  

Black Box Tax £1.50 a mile

Ok, im not usually one for viral email passing on etc, but check this out. As some of you may know there are consulations going on about the idea of road toll charging by method of 'black boxes' placed within your car that log everything about your movements. Now, this would feedback what you have been upto and you would be charged according to the time of day and where you went. This is in my opinion a crazy idea. We already have a similar system of toll charging by fuel tax, the more we go the more fuel tax we pay so we dont need another. Plus with the ability to monitor your speed etc it would only be a matter of time before this info was used for other purposes.

If you dont agree with this idea please sign the petition below. I have done so and I hope you do too. It would also help if this was passed onto other related sites etc if they have not seen this already..

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/traveltax

Lets see them come near my car with a foreign object and i'll flatten them it cant be done to existing cars but could be added to brand new ones. Are yo sure you are not confusing tax with Norwich Unions new pay per mile car insurance.

Yes, no one ever crashes when doing at or below the speed limit.

Are you sure you're presenting a balanced statement of the position?

In the articles I've read, road charging would be used instead of vehicle excise duty and petrol tax, not in addition to it.

If the boxes were used to ensure speed limit compliance - brilliant. It can only make the roads safer.

Still, never let the truth get in the way of a good petition.

Yes - speed is the only factor involved in accidents. If I crash at 69 MPH on the motorway and kill someone, well it doesn't matter does it because I was below the speed limit.:rolleyes:

The only fair system (and less prone to technical failures etc) would be to put the tax onto fuel and forget this Black Box nonsense. We already have cases of number plates being misread by speeding cameras, How long after this being introduced would some old lady who drives to the shop 1 mile away and back once a week gets a bill for a truck that went from portsmouth to glasgow and back?

I believe that this would be a better replacement for vehicle excise duty and petrol tax. I for one would save money, as I already use public transport whenever possible. This could be just what the country needs to curb out reliance on our cars for every little journey.

Where did the figure of £1.50 a mile come from?

Where did the figure of £1.50 a mile come from?

£1.50 per mile is officially the figure quoted for rush hour driving - in other words, a time slot guarranteed to nail those who work and are already burdened by sly taxation.

I'm self employed and can usually choose when to drive - many more cannot.

Of course the charges can be as little as a few pence per mile, at chosen times, so I suggest that people set off for work at four a.m. and bed down on the workplace floor till 9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Use the petition form - the office floor beckons..

Well the technology is already on the road as the pay as you drive scheme already has black boxes in all their vehicles.