Sign in to follow this  

Looking for advice on some areas please

Hi there

I'm totally new all this so pardon for any mistakes. Firstly i don't wish to start a "my place is better then yours" thread. Because i believe most places have their fair share of wolly's :P

I'm wanting to leave home and live with my fiancee.

Any how the only places we've seen and liked are the one's in high demand IMO ..Walkley, Wisewood, Loxley, Heeley.

Her folks live on Batemoor road, and to be fair that part isn't too bad.

But i was wondering what places like Shiregreen and Wincobank, Langsette are like are like. I'm after somewhere close to the Hallamshire Hospital, due to health reasons. But i'd also like and estate where your not in fear of walking out your door or having a your car scratched up. I understand from other threads, that there are certain parts of Wincobank that are nice..But i've heard the Flower estate mentioned on several occasions and i don't know where that is. But i know people are saying to stay clear from it.

As there are soo many people on here, from so many area's. Your all bound to have a much better understanding of certain places then i do. So could i please trouble you for your opinions. Doesn't have to been about any of the area's i've mentioned. But if there's another close to Hallamshire, please i'd really like to hear about it.

Thanks for taking the time to read, it's appreciated

i don't know what sort of budget you have, but the nearest areas to the hallamshire are broomhill, crookes and broomhall. However, walkley isn't bad and is more reasonably priced. I'd also consider hillsborough, it is further away, but is cheaper and imo a nice area. Hillsborough is also only 5 mins on the tram to the uni and it wouldn't take long to get to the hallamshire. hope this helps, harriet

Not too bothered about budget, so long as i can be near the Hallamshire, as its more a necessity than anything else. Thanks for leaving feedback, surprised no-one else has tho.

shiregreen and wincobank are - how can i put it - erm, not exactly select areas !!!

Budget not a problem? How about up towards Beech Hill Road?

Friend of mine selling his 4 bed house up there at the top, but its a hefty £280k!

I think i should have written my initial posting differently..When i said budget and not being a worry..I was actually refering to council properties and renting.. Sorry bout that..Also please tell your friend to put the bubbly on ice, i won't be buying their house anytime soon :P hehehe

I'm after somewhere close the Hallamshire because i'm always going there due to my disability..Once every two month and then there's picking up medicine and stuff..

I've been advised to ask for a medical assesment. Have someone come see me and find out if i qualify for somewhere on medical priority..

I was really confused when i went it, as the last time i visited they where using the old system..So soon as i told the guy in town what was wrong with me. He told me not to worry and i'd not have a problem. Now it seems i do have to worry.. :(

Thanks everyone for the feedback, please keep it coming..this is all useful stuff!! Of which i'm most greatful for

i would suggest netherthorpe or upperthorpe both not bad areas near transport links, hallamshire hospital, town center etc and some flats etc in council property guide this week. if you are going to be applying for medical points be aware that these only last for....6 weeks.... what a joke then you aint eligeble for 6 months to apply again unless its special circumstances.

hope this helps

Hi there and thank you Sabb

I wasn't aware of the 6 month period in between..I'm actually quite worried about the assesment. I suffer with haemopilia so i can look fine on a good day and on a bad one..i usually end up on bed rest or in a wheel chair..

But i've had bad experiances in the past, where people haven't known about my illness and have thought i'm making some of it up..

What is Netherthorpe like? I have a mobility car which is new, and i don't want it instantly becoming a target to be broken into or stolen.

Thanks very much for the advise

James

Originally posted by Raptornet

Not too bothered about budget, so long as i can be near the Hallamshire, as its more a necessity than anything else. Thanks for leaving feedback, surprised no-one else has tho.

The reason being is that A LOT of areas have been covered on the forum already.

Numerous threads on which areas are good and which aren't so good - feedback and advice etc for most of Sheffield.

Rather than everyone repeating themselves over and over - it's easier for you to do a search of the forum.

Thanks i have

However, some of the threads are rather old..And situations do change..

But as i have said, i'm most greatful for those who do reply. As their input is really helpful and also very much appreciated.

I'm sure for some people, moving out and getting their first home was like it is for myself, a worry ordeal. With the biggest issue being where to live and whats it like there..

To be honest i never imagined it could be such a nerve wrecking process.

It's great however that there is a place like this. With so many helpful people from all walks of life and from all over sheffield. Whom you can get views from, IMO its totally priceless.

well i have lived in netherthorpe for 13 years now and never had any trouble with car theft/ vandalism or burglary etc they thankfully got rid of most of the muppets when they did up the estate. its not as neat and tidy though now we dont have resident caretakers. ( damm council )

sabb

Hi there had a drive round looking at houses and flats round there..

Whats it like near Netherthorpe village, everything looked closed when we drove by, even the police station..The church on the left as we drove through looked nice.

Cheers Sabb

I've not spoken to anyone in Netherthorpe and as it's closer to where i'd like to live..it rates high on my list, i'm just scared from some of the things i heard..Gangs and stuff..terrorising residents..

Any truth in all that?