Poll: New Heeley Mosque, what do you think?

What do you think of the new mosque  

619 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new mosque

• Like it
    • Dislike it
    • Don't really care

qazam: I knew it ! I thought it was odd to paint something this colour for no good reasons. lol.... It sure does stand out a lot though. I wish the shade was a little darker and not so 'retro' looking. :)

They are, but there's not reason it has to be tacky, ugly rubbish!

This is your view and the view of x other individuals. There are many people who approve of the design. I suggest that you provide architectural advice to any new development in Sheffield. :)

Now the new mosque is nearing completion, what do people think of it? Is it a good addition to Sheffield architecture and landscape or not?

My own opinion isthat it's nasty and cheap looking. Considering the great Islamic architecture in other parts of the world this one looks so poorly designed and badly executed.

Indeed, and would any other organisation be allowed to put up a structure like that! I say demolish it

The colour is Aquamarine and is symbolic.

qazam: I knew it ! I thought it was odd to paint something this colour for no good reasons. lol.... It sure does stand out a lot though. I wish the shade was a little darker and not so 'retro' looking. :)

Unfortunately 1400 years ago Muslims were not able to define the rgb values for the specific green, lol, so there are many varying contrasts of green used for mosques. :) I do agree, a darker shade would have looked better.

"Muhammad (pbuh) travelled again on the buraq for five hundred thousand years. On his way to the sixth paradise which is called Jannat al Aden: "the Garden of Eden," he saw nations and nations of saffron-coloured angels standing on pedestals of pink marble. They had one thousand wings and on each wing there were one thousand faces. Each face had one thousand mouths saying: "Praise be to the Rabb (Lord) of Majesty and Splendour!" Jibraeel knocked at the door of the sixth paradise which was made of aquamarine and gold. As usual, a voice asked from behind the door who was there and the answer was given: "Jibraeel, bringing Muhammad (pbuh)." "Has he been sent for?" said the voice. "Yes," replied Jibraeel. The door was opened. Muhammad (pbuh) entered and what he saw passed all imagination and all recorded books, all fabled accounts, all legends, all histories."

http://www.meem.freeuk.com/Miraaj.html

Indeed, and would any other organisation be allowed to put up a structure like that! I say demolish it

Any other 'organisation'? I'm not to good with the criteria for new building developments but I would say that any 'organisation' that met the rules for a new building (such as the proposed building should not block sunlight for neighbours - I do think this is one rule) would be able to put up a structure.

Pasty, with respect, you could not be more wrong.

I grew up round this area, my aunt lived opposiste the original building.

It was a drab, damp, mucky-looking, ugly old co-op shop. The original building was an absolute eyesore, even then. You cannot describe the dump that the original building as-was, as looking anything like part of the character of the area, it only added to its generally run-down look.

the new mosque is a stunning building.

The mosque, IMO, looks fantastic. There are some beautiful tiles with arabic calligraphy decorating the arches entrance near the citizen's advice bureau.

I certainly think it looks even prettier than sheffield's only other purpose-built mosque, near Balfour Road, Darnall.

It's going to be a great asset to the community, as not only is it going to be a place of worship where the Muslim community, generally, can come together, as well as the fact that it will be a centre that can be utilised by the area's population at large, with a community centre, and meeting and education facilites.

I fon't see why people have a problem with the "imposing" sense of the building, because, as someone has already pointed out, there are two huge church buildings within a couple of hundred yards of the mosque, as well as two other former church buildings (both Methodist) within about half a mile, (not counting other close-by church buildings such as which I'm sure were imposing edifices at the time they were constructed.

The mosque and community facilities are desperately needed in this area, especially as it looks like we are soon to lose some current community facilities, like the Highfield library, and both Sharrow schools, as all three are unable to be converted easily and economically enough to comply with DDA accessibility standards. (and it will be some time before the replacement buildings will be ready for use.)

What!!!!! yu crazy maaaan! The traffic around there is awful already and its just gonna cause more congestion to the nth degree!!! Guess what, whats the betting (not that I am a gambling man I may add) that If/When congestion charging arrives, that Queens Rd/Wolslely Rd may be; I said may be (RIP Fred Elliot) included; due to the amount of traffic standing and not moving due to numerous visits to the mosque? "TOOO much money to be lost" I hear the Street Planners saying....

I have no objection to a mosque at all but the location.......is absolutey wrong...wrong...wrong!

WRONG!!!!

I hate it, it looks awful. The main reason I don't like it is the green domes on top of the towers. They are the only thing we can see from our bedroom window.

What!!!!! yu crazy maaaan! The traffic around there is awful already and its just gonna cause more congestion to the nth degree!!! Guess what, whats the betting (not that I am a gambling man I may add) that If/When congestion charging arrives, that Queens Rd/Wolslely Rd may be; I said may be (RIP Fred Elliot) included; due to the amount of traffic standing and not moving due to numerous visits to the mosque? "TOOO much money to be lost" I hear the Street Planners saying....

I have no objection to a mosque at all but the location.......is absolutey wrong...wrong...wrong!

WRONG!!!!

no this woman is not crazy, at all, thanks!

the location of the mosque is the location it is in, (and can't be undone, i'm afraid!) it's pretty much central, to serve the large muslim population of the sharrow/ highfield abbeydale road area, which will be the demographic base for those persons using the mosque and community facilities.

I live nearby, and I don't have a problem, at all with the building.

What!!!!! yu crazy maaaan! The traffic around there is awful already and its just gonna cause more congestion to the nth degree!!!

Look love,

1) Plain talker is a woman.

2) Are you also campaigning to get Sheffield united's ground closed as well. Because the amount of traffic chaos that causes every other saturday is at least 50 times more severe than the new Mosque could ever be..

Bolton

http://www.bolton.org.uk/prospectm.jpg

Regents Park

http://www.milesfaster.co.uk/gallery/london-images/london-central-mosque.jpg

Surrey

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/D.Jefferies/brunei/shanty-and-mosque-0405.jpg

I do think that ours is a little OTT. :hihi:

I was browsing pics of mosques, and came across some actual buildings in the UK. The Surrey one and the Regents Park one really do look quite grand.

I noticed that a lot of mosques in different countries have style that is quite Mediterranian. A lot of them look like this.

http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/21660/dsc01058s.jpg

Light green top, with a pale building.