Poll: New Heeley Mosque, what do you think?

What do you think of the new mosque  

619 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new mosque

• Like it
    • Dislike it
    • Don't really care

It's ok, looks a bit cheap for the amount that it's cost, but with that amount of money available I think an opportunity was lost to have built a really modern, cutting edge design. This one looks pretty incongruous plonked down in the middle of an inner city area of small terraced housing.

Someone mentioned the synagogue and if you consider the old Wilson Road synagogue which when built in the 30s was very of its time and the little church at Gleadless Valley which is very in keeping with the estate, unmistakeable as to its purpose but at the same time very austere and modern, the mosque could have been amazing.

In planning terms its massing is overbearing for the area around it, and I'm pretty sure it's at least 25% larger than the orginal plans that were submitted?

Maybe there's loads of underground parking?

I don't like it at all, not for what it stands for or anything, I just think its a crap design.

I was down in London a couple of years back, near Staines and there's a Mosque down there which is breathtakingly well designed (all sandstone, dull gold topped Minarets and Dome, carved figures into the stone etc.) which I thought was a really great building, and something similar I'd have welcomed to Sheffield. But, the one we've got is plug ugly, and it's even worse close up.

Forget religion the building looks completely out of place in its surroundings, it looks too big for the piece of land it’s on, the buildings around are dirty and grey. It’s just a shame they couldn’t have found somewhere prettier for it to go

I'm not keen. The bricks look like a public loo or Manchester Arndale Circa 1982, the dome looks cheap. There's a lot of nicer looking Mosque's around, I quite like the ones that are partialy tiled myself.

how about pakistan :hihi:

Just like Churches should only be built in Palenstine and Isreal.

I was in Peterborough a few weeks ago.

The 7-storey office block that my Dad used to work in has gone, replaced by a prison. The skyline is now dominated by the mosque on the other side of the railway. Most of the locals didn't want either of these buildings, but they got both.

The fact is, prisons and mosques are generally full. Churches are generally empty. Draw your own conclusions from that.

you lot make me laugh, how about you put your hands in your pocket and build something "beautiful"... pure jealously and hatred.

Its an eyesore. sheffield was ugly enough without that being put there.

Anyway, been thinking whether to write something or not, but I think I will. I didn't realise what a big fuss this building had kicked up, and I do live in that area as well. So I had a good look. Actually, the green top bit is looking odd. Then again, I don't know much about religious architecture, so I don't know whether it has significant meanings or what.

I will be honest and say that I don't particularly like the architecture of this building. Although, I think respect has to be paid for the local muslim community to be able to fund the costs of this building. So I can't complain that the materials used are not what I like to see in a monument, cos I know it's not cheap to build a building in this day and age ! Funnily enough, the type of bricks used are also those used in these new builds around the city everywhere. So what does that tell us ? That building materials are not cheap, and bricks are more often than not standard.

From an architectural angle, I wish they preserved the old bricks from the old building, and throw in some new local Yorkshire stones or slabs or something to really make the building stand out. Or as mentioned, gold leaf the green top or whatever.

I think I've seen a magnificent Mosque in HK. In the middle of a busy commercial road, nestled into the area, and its greeneries, with a few artefact which stands out. It is magnificent. Then again, I hazard a guess that it was built at a time where the city was affluent, and economy boomed.

you lot make me laugh, how about you put your hands in your pocket and build something "beautiful"... pure jealously and hatred.

Why is it "jealousy and hatred" to think something looks crap from a design point of view?

I personally have no problem with mosques being built, infact there's planning permission for another near Meadowhall, which if built to the initial designs, will look much nicer than the Heeley one, at a fraction of the cost.

Its the most ugliest thing i have ever seen at least our churches have character (stained glass windows etc) i work in heeley and every one who works round there who i know thinks its vile.