Poll: New Heeley Mosque, what do you think?

What do you think of the new mosque  

619 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new mosque

• Like it
    • Dislike it
    • Don't really care

I think it's vile, it doesn't fit in with the area.

If it was in Istanbul or Riyadh, yes. But Heeley, no.

I think it's vile, it doesn't fit in with the area.

If it was in Istanbul or Riyadh, yes. But Heeley, no.

Why? at risk of upsetting /provoking certain elements on here, aren't Muslims allowed to have their own purpose-built place of worship?

There is a synagogue, in sheffield, any number of churches, of all denominations, including, but not limited to Catholic, Anglican, Unitarian, "Congs", URC, Methodist, Baptist, Pentecostal, many churches that are"LEP" (local ecumenical projects, where two or more denominations have combined congregations, to use one building) there's a sikh temple, at least 2 buddhist centres, etc, so why on earth not a mosque? and, more pertinemtly, why on earth not in the area where there is a large muslim population, who will make full use of its facilities?

They , whoever "they" are , payed for it themselves I'm told.

:D I absolutely love it. I am not a Muslim but think it is a gorgeous building, really adds something special to the sheffield landscape. Looks a lot better than the rest of the big buildings you can see from the higher parts of sheffield. I heard that it has cost 4.6million and all this money was public funded. Shows the dedication of the Muslims in sheffield on how they could raise so much money.

Relax with the jealousy forummers, the building is doing no-one any harm and I dont know how anyone can say its a sight for soreyes :loopy:

Why? at risk of upsetting /provoking certain elements on here, aren't Muslims allowed to have their own purpose-built place of worship?

There is a synagogue, in sheffield, any number of churches, of all denominations, including, but not limited to Catholic, Anglican, Unitarian, "Congs", URC, Methodist, Baptist, Pentecostal, many churches that are"LEP" (local ecumenical projects, where two or more denominations have combined congregations, to use one building) there's a sikh temple, at least 2 buddhist centres, etc, so why on earth not a mosque? and, more pertinemtly, why on earth not in the area where there is a large muslim population, who will make full use of its facilities?

Because it's a huge building with a massive green bowl on the top. :rolleyes:

If you were to ask me about most of the other buildings on your list, I'd probably say they don't fit in either, unless they aren't a stupid shape, size or colour.

I have a view of it from my house, so I suppose I have more right to comment than most, and I like it. It stands out no more than a church with a ruddy big spire or tower, and we have plenty of those down there, too. It's nice to see something so interesting on the skyline.

If you hate the mosque then your ire's (and possibly your eyes) in the wrong place as there are some truly vile buildings down Heeley Bottom, and the bulldozers would be busy for months if we could knock down any ugly buildings: B&Q, Halfords, Comet, KFC, the repulsive new flats on Bramall Lane, Virgin Active (an absolutely disgusting, sprawling turd of a building, I'm praying the roof gets ripped asunder in a gale). At the very least the mosque isn't a bland, sprawling box.

I fail to see how something that was designed in 600AD can pass today's building regulations! Anyway, it's revolting - a disgusting symbol of oppression, both of women and of free thought; a medieval monstrosity built by fantasists to honour a god who couldn't care less. I feel the same way about all religious buildings - it's not just my unfamiliarity with the inappropriate alien architecture.

What exactly is in keeping with the area? A lot of old works falling down or bland square building. A church would get planning permission but churches are closing down because the so called christians that object to Moslem mosques have never been inside a church and so churches are becoming wine bars and antique warehouses. To be Christian means you have to be part of the Christian community and worship as a group. I am Christian and I have no objection to anyone who wants to worship God in whatever form they choose.