Poll: New Heeley Mosque, what do you think?

What do you think of the new mosque  

619 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new mosque

• Like it
    • Dislike it
    • Don't really care

no this woman is not crazy, at all, thanks!

the location of the mosque is the location it is in, (and can't be undone, i'm afraid!) it's pretty much central, to serve the large muslim population of the sharrow/ highfield abbeydale road area, which will be the demographic base for those persons using the mosque and community facilities.

I live nearby, and I don't have a problem, at all with the building.

I say again, the location is wrong, due to the high volume of traffic at a major junction, regardless to the fact that YOU live there is irrellevant, double yellow lines, no parking provision; and that it will be the main mosque in Sheffield, I feel that a more suitable location could have been chosen, Darnall, Attercliffe, due to a higher muslim population (respect to you all), or are more to be built?

Look love,

1) Plain talker is a woman.

2) Are you also campaigning to get Sheffield united's ground closed as well. Because the amount of traffic chaos that causes every other saturday is at least 50 times more severe than the new Mosque could ever be..

Hey just covering the bases, ok....

You crazy womaaaaan!

That better?

Mod. Note

Please keep this thread civil. Last night we suspended a user's account for abusive behaviour on this thred - for a month - and we'd prefer not to do it again. We know that most people manage to keep things cool - just a quick reminder for those who have problems with that that we won't tolerate abusive and threatening behaviour.

doesn't blend in and looks awful even over powers the churches near to it

one other thing was it wise putting it so close to a football ground?

I have come to accept that the colour Green is a symbolic colour of Islam. The Prophet Muhammed's mosque in Medina, Saudi Arabia also has a green dome and it was his favourite colour.

Yes but is the dome on The Prophet Mohammed’s mosque in Medina made from cheap plastic???? It's fair enough to have green domes but I think great quantities of plastic have no place in architecture. It’s ugly and very environmentally unfriendly. They will still be around hundreds of years after the mosque has gone. I don't think the council would give me permission to rip the tiles off my house and replace them with sheets of garish green plastic.

The dome of the Prophets mosque in Arabia is not made from plastic. I do not know the material used for the dome of the Heeley Mosque (Your the first to say it is plastic).

Firstly the reason the Prophets Mosque is not made from 'cheap' material is because the Saudi's invested a lot of money (as it is one of the two most important landmarks for Muslims in Saudi Arabia).

Secondly if it is plastic that has been used for the dome of the Heeley mosque, then it is probably due to not enough money being available.

The colour is Aquamarine and is symbolic.

For all who think these are green please have a read about the symbolism of aquamarine. That way you may appreciate why the domes are this colour.

I expect a great deal of thought and debate went into the design of this building as certain aspects of faith would dictate the architecture. It's not the same as building something just for practicality and convenience.

Kurlymunky - #150 - "I don't think the council would give me permission to rip the tiles off my house and replace them with sheets of garish green plastic."

They could not stop you. If you lived in a listed building or in a conservation area they could take action to make you take them off, if they were considered inappropriate. Otherwise you'ld just have a house that looked rather .... interesting.

I expect a great deal of thought and debate went into the design of this building as certain aspects of faith would dictate the architecture. It's not the same as building something just for practicality and convenience.

Unlikely, it's pretty clear the building is just "Off Plan" for some consultancy that designs them. I'll wager all the new ones are ~95% identical.

On the topic of domes and the 'Islamic' style...does anyone think that Abbeydale Picture House or Meadowhall should be blown up? St Paul's Cathedral maybe? Astronomical observatories? There's an observatory slap bang in the middle of the Yorkshire Dales, at Giggleswick School, it also has a violently green coloured dome and can be seen for miles. But there its seen as interesting, not something to be 'blown up'.

I say again, the location is wrong, due to the high volume of traffic at a major junction, regardless to the fact that YOU live there is irrellevant, double yellow lines, no parking provision; and that it will be the main mosque in Sheffield, I feel that a more suitable location could have been chosen, Darnall, Attercliffe, due to a higher muslim population (respect to you all), or are more to be built?

for crying out loud!

A COMMUNITY facility is no good, if it's not accessible to the community it serves.

This mosque is intended, primarily (but not exclusively) to serve the Muslim community of this area. and, in case you havent noticed, this area does actually have quite a strong local presenece of Muslims, probably, proportionately as high as Pitsmoor, and almost as high (if it doesn't equal) Darnall.

therefore it has been built, erm.... IN THIS AREA!

if it were built out in the wilds, or somewhere else that's a huge trek to get to, then there would be all sorts of implications, like, say the fuel needed to drive cars to the location, and the impact of the carbon emissions.

Let me explain it in simpler terms.

If we needed to build a school, intended to serve, say, Mosborough, the school would not be built at Stocksbridge. The school would be built in the vicinity of Mosborough, it would be illogical to place it somewhere else.

This mosque is intended to serve the community in the sharrow/ nether edge/ abbeydale road area. Therefore it is necessary to build the mosque in an area that the local people can access.

It's simple enough reasoning, surely-to-goodness?