Poll: New Heeley Mosque, what do you think?

What do you think of the new mosque  

619 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new mosque

• Like it
    • Dislike it
    • Don't really care

Ruling Sikhs?? India is officially a secular democracy, but if one religion dominates it's the Hindus, not the Sikhs.

I stand corrected :blush: :blush:

However my point is still a valid one :nod:

I think it looks nice, although i dont think they would spend this amount of money on a new church

Who is they? The Mosque was built with the donations of Muslims (and Non-muslims). This was not a project of the council.

Or did the they mean the chrisitians who attend a church - they wouldnt spend this amount of money on a new church?

If they was specifically muslims then I would urge you to go outisde a mosque on Friday and ask for donations (you may be suprised!).

Note: If you would like to build a new church, to cater for the needs of the chrisitians in the area I am happy to donate! :) I think it would be a great idea to do such a thing and then to invite most people on this thread to give their opinions on how it should be designed!

so this is the thing right it makes a absolute mockery of the british if we went to india or pakistan and decided to put a church up they would tell us to get lost that is what should have happened with the mosque its a JOKE

Which planet are you on?

Alot of money for new mosques (not sure about this one though) comes from the Wahhabi sect (more here), which is in turn funded by the House of Saud, which in turn is funded by you filling up your Ford Mondeo's and using air travel. :hihi:

lol... Wahabis ARE a sect of Muslims... However I can pretty much guarantee that the House of Saud or the 'Wahabi movement' havent made any donations to the Heeley Mosque.

Why, 'they' are the Muslim community, of course. :):hihi:

Note: If you would like to build a new church, to cater for the needs of the chrisitians in the area I am happy to donate! :) I think it would be a great idea to do such a thing and then to invite most people on this thread to give their opinions on how it should be designed!

:hihi: Ok... apologies for it to be a bit harsh. I am just a bit mouthy when it comes to building designs.

I'm after a nice new extension in my garden. Anybody wanna donate money to this ? :hihi:

so this is the thing right it makes a absolute mockery of the british if we went to india or pakistan and decided to put a church up they would tell us to get lost that is what should have happened with the mosque its a JOKE

No, it's perfectly serious. So, cthoel having seen the evidence of all the beautiful Christian churches in Pakistan and India will you ever return to the thread and make a further contribution? I suspect not.

Is that the one which looks like an oversized sweedish steamhouse? If so, I agree :lol:

Has it lasted a winter yet? I imagine those wooden panels won't cope with frost very well.

Well seeing as it gets a lot colder in Sweden than it does here and they use wood quite a lot in consruction, it just shows how daft your thinking is. Especially as you specifically compare it to a Swedish building.

It's amazing how much personal opinion is presented as fact on this thread. Whatever the design had been, some muppet would object as it wasn't to their taste, as happens with any new building. The Eiffel tower was once seen as an abomination, St Pauls was huge in comparison to the surrounding building and any new building is not going to fit in older buildings and indeed why should it? We we always had that blinkered attitude, we'd never progress.

Places of worship, whatever the religion never really match or fit in with the surrounding houses, they only seem to do so as they were usually built before we were born. So to criticise from that point of view is a bit dippy really.

What people also forget is the old buildings they revere, were new in their time and probably didn't match the older buildings in the time they were built. If people insisted on always matching past constructions, we'd still be in caves. Apart from those who moaned about caves, insisting sitting under trees was a lot better.

Christians in India are often look down upon and persecuted by the ruling Sikhs.

I think the "ruling Sikhs" remark has been dealt with already. :rolleyes:

Also most of those churches were built when India and Pakistan where part of the empire. I doubt very much if such a building would be able to be built today.

BBC Radio 4's Today Programmes take on things

More from the (very PC) BBC

Christianity in India has nothing to do with the British empire (which I am guessing you are referring to although the Portuguese empire would be a lot more relevant in this case...), it has been in India as long as Christianity has existed pretty much with the legend being that it was brought to India by St. Thomas.

As for new churches being built, sorry to disappoint but new Christian churches are built daily around the country. Just typing "new churches india" into Google brought up this article which is referring to new churches only within that denomination (230 New Churchs In India).

The level of ignorance, paranoia and xenophobia in this thread is ridiculous. Pull your heads out of your bottoms people.

The level of ignorance, paranoia and xenophobia in this thread is ridiculous. Pull your heads out of your bottoms people.

I agree with you 100% :D

I have to say that, while people of all religions must be permitted to pray to whatever imaginary being they choose, the mosque in question is a horrible, tacky monstrosity and should never have been granted planning permission. One might not unreasonably infer from its very existence that a spot of positive discrimination took place in the planning office.