Poll: New Heeley Mosque, what do you think?

What do you think of the new mosque  

619 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new mosque

• Like it
    • Dislike it
    • Don't really care

Is that the one which looks like an oversized sweedish steamhouse? If so, I agree :lol:

Has it lasted a winter yet? I imagine those wooden panels won't cope with frost very well.

ruby, The muslim community is not known for its radical design. I know some of the people behind the project including Mr Nazir (also a local councillor) but I think they tend to be the elders of the community.

btw, I took myself off the register of architects a few years ago, so I have to be careful how I refer to myself - it's a protected title and part of the conditions of being on the register is professional indemnity insurance, which I do not have. I am not 'in practice' at the moment.

RPG, catch a grip and stop being so offensive. If you read my posts you will see that I have been consistantly critical of the scale of the building, it's even on a footnote to one of the pictures, the one given a direct reference by Bago. I'm sorry I have not posted any pictures of the front of the building. I will do so in due course. Because the front of the building is not flanked by small terraced houses the scale is much less of an issue.

As to the RIBA, I have never been, nor will ever be a member of the RIBA. It's little more than a gentleman's club, and I'm also a republican. I hope that's ok with you.

However, there have been several comments made on this thread which are based on race / religion, not architecture / amenity. I can't be bothered to go find them for you, but since you don't even read my posts properly it wont do you much good me finding them.

I don't like reggae, I love it!

Ruby, I never have described you as a racist. If you think I have, perhaps you can show me where. afaics you are quite the opposite.

Like I said to RPG, if the cap fits...

If it doesn't fit I can't be referring to you, can I??

Maybe I should go find the posts I am referring to, but some might have been taken out by the mods and it's late anyway. Another time perhaps.

Absolutely no offense to the majority posting here who are far from racist inc. miss ruby.

My post #98 (I think) lays out my considered opinion of the building, its context and some of the wider community issues.

I don't know the st annes school I'm afraid so I can't comment.

For someone seemingly "in touch" you do hand out the racist card a little too easily. I've seen those posts you mention yes, and they are deplorable, yet you earmarked me in with them with a named post no less.

Perhaps you should realise that because you have a degree in design it means that your opinion is the be all and end all of the subject. If you bothered to read *my* posts you'll see that i've referred to other community minded mosque projects (one in Surrey, and of course the beautiful one planned near meadowhall) so I can hardly be tarred with the same brush as the people whom you refer to.

Ps. Hat's don't suit me. They make me look like Tom Baker.

"yet you earmarked me in with them with a named post no less."

Where, exactly?

I think we have got some wires crossed here, I agree with you about the scale of the wolseley rd mosque and the post of the other mosque (meadowhall) shows a beautiful building, I agree entirely.

I have not tried to pretend that my opinion is "the be all" etc., but I have been doing 'this stuff' for many years and have a 'trained' brain, so to speak. But there many, many 'lay' people, untrained, so to speak, who have a high sensitivity and whose opinion I would take before some architects.

And I don't think you have ever been included in my 'racism' bag, I'm sorry you have taken it that way. I note you agree that some of the posts are "deplorable", so we agree on that.

So there's lots of agreements! Perhaps we should 'start again'!

And those out there who are 'critical', if you can't say why you think it's 'ugly' and 'should be bulldozed', then ask for help.

It's not everyone who can explain why they don't like a buildiing, or a piece of art (which is what a building should be), but if you are 'stuck for words' then there are some who might help you express yourself a bit better than "it's ugly". It could be materials, proportion, context, detailing, finishing, texture, ratio of solid to void, scale or a number of other things. But "it's ugly" adds nothing to the discussion.

I saw one of the windows broken in it recently - how did that happen - a manufacturing problem ?

coyote: Basically, you're saying, "be constructive, than be destructive" with comments, right ? I agree with that. Since it's been built. So nothing more that ugly or antagonistic needs be said. It's there.

Just....well..if they ever decide to change the colour of the roof. Gold will look nice ! :D I can contribute like 5 quid only. :help:

Parking permits round there may help residents?

Visiting worshippers would have to arrange alternative transport, thus promoting environmentally friendly methods of transport and helping to appease residents with parking problems?

Just an idea.

This thread seems to have got pretty steamed since I last came in.

I'm sure I don't remember such stress when the new peace gardens buildings went up. And they are 20x worse than this.