Poll: New Heeley Mosque, what do you think?

What do you think of the new mosque  

619 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new mosque

• Like it
    • Dislike it
    • Don't really care

I must say that there are a lot of racists disguising themselves as architecture critics here - you make me laugh.

Nothing like a bit of generalising is there :loopy:

For reference, here's the new mosque which I believe to be far nicer looking:

http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/5418/mosrf4.jpg

Gradiated design using the slope to maximum effect, gold leafed domes (which should look very impressive pre-sunset) and a very interestingly designed minaret, it also has some scope to add some much needed greenery to the area which will help brighten it up even more.

(planning docs here: http://planning.sheffield.gov.uk/publicaccess/dc/DcApplication/application_detailview.aspx?caseno=J4R7V2NY6B000&searchtype=WEEKLY)

Nothing like a bit of generalising is there :loopy:

For reference, here's the new mosque which I believe to be far nicer looking:

http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/5418/mosrf4.jpg

Gradiated design using the slope to maximum effect, gold leafed domes (which should look very impressive pre-sunset) and a very interestingly designed minaret, it also has some scope to add some much needed greenery to the area which will help brighten it up even more.

(planning docs here: http://planning.sheffield.gov.uk/publicaccess/dc/DcApplication/application_detailview.aspx?caseno=J4R7V2NY6B000&searchtype=WEEKLY)

Must admit, Ive not seen the Heeley mosque in a while, but when I saw it being built, I thought it looked OK.

But the one in the link above is a beautiful looking building.

coyote13: Yes, the pictures you showed makes the building looks magnificent. That's because it's a sunny day, and the light blue sky makes the light coloured yellow bricks looks quite light and bright.

However, and then you see this !

http://public.fotki.com/marcus13/wolseley-road-mosqu/20060711wolseleyrdm-2.html

Notice the difference in the shades of those bricks ? The whole street still has old red bricks, and the new building has new bright yellow bricks. Tell me that the two go together. :loopy:

Yes, the architecture and the style do look magnificent actually. Especially now that you showed me those photos. Cos I haven't had a chance to walk onto the premises and take a good look. I saw it from a distance or in the car passing the road in front of it. It definitely stands out, for sure.

Anyway, well done to the local muslim community for raising the money to build such a religious building. I was reading another site. It is definitely not cheap to build one. Respect given where it's due. Yes, they have my respect.

As an architect then, coyote, is there any reason why a mosque here should have to look like a mosque in somewhere like Pakistan?

I still think that they had the opportunity to build something really radical and they missed the chance.

As I said, the little church at Gleadless Valley, is totally unlike any other church I've ever seen and it's quite eyecatching.

They could have built something equally suited for the purpose but that fitted in with the surroundings better. Of course, there may be a plan to raze the rest of the area to the ground to provide grounds more in keeping with the massing.

It's been done before. After all most of the rest of the area was demolished in the 70s.

how would you like to pay

we have a grant from sheffield city council

what grant is that?! the mosque was built from donations from the muslim community so get your facts right.

RPG, if the caps fits ....

I think you need to look up the word "racist" in the dictionary...

The pictures you posted show small sections of the building out of context, if you look at it as a whole (thats... in context with the surroundings), and its integration into adjacent properties, it's very bad from a design point of view (not cheap looking, just poorly designed), and if you still think the opposite and claim to have 40 years plus experience in 'architecture' I suggest you tear up the ol' RIBA membership card.

Alternatively, you can keep your blinkered views out of this topic.

Thank you Bago, but you might have read my comment below the picture regarding scale. I do not take issue with your comment on the colour of the bricks, but it's the scale, rather than the colour which I find most 'inapropriate'.

It's people's comments about it being 'rubbish' and 'cheap' which are not based on any informed criticism of the building. It appears that their criticism is based on ethnicity, not on the quality of the building.

I often say, "there's no accounting for taste", especially when a client suggests something 'gruesome'.

if it was a church i would say it was ugly and inappropriate.

Exactly Pasty.

I don't like the vaguely recent addition to the Cathedral either (that metal bit), so does that mean I hate Christians too? :lol:

It appears that their criticism is based on ethnicity, not on the quality of the building. I often say, "there's no accounting for taste",

You're right there is "no accounting for taste" and I really object to almost being deemed racist just because I happen to find a building out of place, overbearing and garish.

We were asked our opinions and I've given mine. For the record I find the new school that's replaced Anns Road School cheap looking, overbearing and out of place too. That looks like a giant garden shed IMO. I'd hate to think I had to look out on that every morning when I opened my blinds. So you can put me down as schoolist as well as person with no taste!