Poll: New Heeley Mosque, what do you think?

What do you think of the new mosque  

619 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new mosque

• Like it
    • Dislike it
    • Don't really care

Well if I decided I wanted to live in France or Spain I would learn fluent French or Spanish. Learning the main language spoken in a country you move to is hardly something you cannot change is it?

Perhaps you would like to go and educate the vast number of British people who have moved to Southern Spain.

qazam: Do you know why the top is green ? Does it have some kind of religious significance or other ?

Perhaps you would like to go and educate the vast number of British people who have moved to Southern Spain.

..who are equally as guilty of being insular, small minded, lazy and not prepared to becoming part of the community.

You are really not helping your argument are you?

..who are equally as guilty of being insular, small minded, lazy and not prepared to becoming part of the community.

:thumbsup:

qazam: Do you know why the top is green ? Does it have some kind of religious significance or other ?

I have come to accept that the colour Green is a symbolic colour of Islam. The Prophet Muhammed's mosque in Medina, Saudi Arabia also has a green dome and it was his favourite colour.

I've never researched why the colour green is significant in Islam. A quick search in Google gave the following (http://www.afghansforafghans.org/learn.html). So thankyou for asking as I now have learned something new. :D

Significance of the color green in Islam

Green is the symbolic color of Islam. Prophet Muhammad (PBUH, peace be upon him) wore a green turban, and green is believed to have been his favorite color. Green was also the color of the banners used on the battlefield and the color of the first Islamic flag.

The Quran and the Hadith, the teachings of Prophet Muhammad, describe Paradise as filled with green: the people of Paradise "will wear green garments of fine silk [The Noble Quran, 18:31]."

Islam also considers green significant because it is the color of nature. Therefore, green is popularly used in the flags of Muslim nations, as well as in art and architecture. Mosques are frequently decorated with green tiles.

I like it. It adds to a bland part of town. It's only because its islamic that people are moaning.

What nonsense, the building is an eyesore and looks like an 80's fire station. It is ugly, regardless of who built it or what it's purpose is.

I have come to accept that the colour Green is a symbolic colour of Islam. The Prophet Muhammed's mosque in Medina, Saudi Arabia also has a green dome and it was his favourite colour.

I've never researched why the colour green is significant in Islam. A quick search in Google gave the following (http://www.afghansforafghans.org/learn.html). So thankyou for asking as I now have learned something new. :D

Significance of the color green in Islam

Green is the symbolic color of Islam. Prophet Muhammad (PBUH, peace be upon him) wore a green turban, and green is believed to have been his favorite color. Green was also the color of the banners used on the battlefield and the color of the first Islamic flag.

The Quran and the Hadith, the teachings of Prophet Muhammad, describe Paradise as filled with green: the people of Paradise "will wear green garments of fine silk [The Noble Quran, 18:31]."

Islam also considers green significant because it is the color of nature. Therefore, green is popularly used in the flags of Muslim nations, as well as in art and architecture. Mosques are frequently decorated with green tiles.

Isn't it symbolic of eternity? I thought it was to do with ascention and eternity but I could be wrong.

I'm sorry for giving the impression that I'm arguing against people learning the main language of the country. I whole heartedly agree and encourage people to learn the language of the country. :)

I gave the example of Spain due to remove the idea from the general readers mind that the act of being lazy and not learning the main language of a country is not confined to the ethnic communities residing here in England.

Isn't it symblic of eternity? I thought it was to do with ascention and eternity but I could be wrong.

I have no idea... I cant say if your wrong or right? but will try to read up some time..

i think its beautifull and its a very good addition to sheffield as there are a lot of muslims living in sheffield. Its the nicest mosque in sheffield, if you go to other parts of england there are some very beautiful mosques its about time sheffield had one....

Beautiful how? It's like a bland office block with bad windows.

One of the most bland, uninspiring buildings I have ever seen.

Why? at risk of upsetting /provoking certain elements on here, aren't Muslims allowed to have their own purpose-built place of worship?

They are, but there's not reason it has to be tacky, ugly rubbish!

Beautiful how? It's like a bland office block with bad windows.

One of the most bland, uninspiring buildings I have ever seen.

I don't really think it's justified as being called bland is it? If it was there would be hardly any debate over it at all....it would be unoticed.