Poll: New Heeley Mosque, what do you think?

What do you think of the new mosque  

619 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new mosque

• Like it
    • Dislike it
    • Don't really care

Whilst I agree that the parking problems are not going to be as bad as those caused by the football ground, I also can understand that the football ground has been in place for many years, before parking considerations were an issue.

Although I've never been in a position to have to apply for planning permission for anything, I understand from those that have that providing adequate parking for any project is a very big issue, and permission is more than likely to be refused if it can't be demonstrated that any new build does not have adequate parking.

Clearly this building does not have adequate parking for the number of people it is going to attract, and this begs the question, why is it that this has been allowed, given that it is not unusual to see parking bedlam and mayhem arround any mosque on a friday?

no, scoop, parking at the Lane (as I am sure was just the case at "owlsborough"! ;) ) was a problem, even back in the 1970's (i spent my teens living round that area), and I can assure you that my father spat bullets on a regular basis, every other Saturday, when he arrived back home from work, and could not park on our street for footy-supporters' cars.

the number of tickets he got from the traffic wardens was ridicuous.

however, the congregation who will gather on Jumu'ah day (Fridays) to worship at the mosque will be far, far smaller proportionately than the crowds who gather every other week to worship the red-and-white-wizards at the Lane. as someone said, above, though there will be some congestion, naturally, there will be no need for road closures, and marshalling, etc, just for the couple of hours of prayers on Fridays.

no, scoop, parking at the Lane (as I am sure was just the case at "owlsborough"! ;) ) was a problem, even back in the 1970's (i spent my teens living round that area), and I can assure you that my father spat bullets on a regular basis, every other Saturday, when he arrived back home from work, and could not park on our street for footy-supporters' cars.

the number of tickets he got from the traffic wardens was ridicuous.

however, the congregation who will gather on Jumu'ah day (Fridays) to worship at the mosque will be far, far smaller proportionately than the crowds who gather every other week to worship the red-and-white-wizards at the Lane. as someone said, above, though there will be some congestion, naturally, there will be no need for road closures, and marshalling, etc, just for the couple of hours of prayers on Fridays.

This may well be the case, but do two wrongs make a right, and is it fair to the local residents of that area to lumber them with two stonking great parking problems?

My point about Bramall Lane was not necasserily that parking problems have not been an issue there for a long time, but that it was built at a time when it probably wasn't considered as an issue from a planning permission point of view.

All I'm saying is that any NEW building now has to plan for adequate parking, why not this one?

This may well be the case, but do two wrongs make a right, and is it fair to the local residents of that area to lumber them with two stonking great parking problems?

My point about Bramall Lane was not necasserily that parking problems have not been an issue there for a long time, but that it was built at a time when it probably wasn't considered as an issue from a planning permission point of view.

All I'm saying is that any NEW building now has to plan for adequate parking, why not this one?

You overlook the fact that this NEW building replaces an existing OLD building. The only thing that has changed is the actual bricks and mortar on the site.

Maybe there are no prequisite for parking for religious buildings ? :confused:

If this isn't so, then why do churches don't have their own parking spaces either ? Now you got me curious...

Well, I live in the S2 area too, and to be honest with you, whether it's footie, or firework displays, a lot of cars do get parked round this area. I don't complain about it. It's a fact of life, that whever you go in this country, you will end up living near a football ground. (Well, I did.) So traffic will always be a problem on a weekend anyway, but if you are smart, you'd avoid that time to travel traffic in and out to the city centre to do emergency errands.

Actually, football punters are quite respectful of parking spaces. At least they don't block your car in from your own drive. They're not that desperate and disrespectful. You may say that I'm lucky in both houses that I've lived in this are has private drives, but if I know it's footie time, I rather park the car there and let it die down so I'd have a space. It usually clears by 5pm anyway. Or you end up staying out a little bit longer, if you're already out in town. You can usually time the matches by the daylight ! It's pretty routined.

"If this isn't so, then why do churches don't have their own parking spaces"

da do do do!

I know exactly what you mean but that rates as a really funny typo!

The use of the building is for very short periods so parking is less of an issue than for, say, a cinema.

Robbo, it is MANY times the size of the original building in terms of sq footage and is on a much bigger footprint ...

You overlook the fact that this NEW building replaces an existing OLD building. The only thing that has changed is the actual bricks and mortar on the site.

That doesn't make it immune to Planning legislation though. I'm also curious as to why adequate parking has not been required for what is surely the main Mosque in Sheffield when this thread seems to make it clear that there are pre-existing parking issues around the previous Mosque building. :huh:

"If this isn't so, then why do churches don't have their own parking spaces"

da do do do!

I know exactly what you mean but that rates as a really funny typo! ...

Eh ? :huh:

Don't get ya. Or maybe it's too early in the morning. lol....

Need my caffeine fix.

I think the mosque looks amazing! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The mosque reflects the strength of a community (Muslims and non Muslims) who donated money towards creating a centre for education. Contrary to what most believe mosques teach Muslims to live in peace and harmony with others.

Speak to a practising Muslim or (read the Islamic texts) and you will know that Islam is a peaceful religion.

:D Merry Xmas and Happy Eid all!

I dont think too many people have an issue with what the building will be used for, a minority perhaps, but most people who have posted on here simply object to the buildings design, not the fact that it is there.

there is a car park right next to it, to say you live there you dont really notice much do you?

although obviously the car park is no way big enough to hold all the visitors, but saying that the car park at bramall lane is no where big enough to hold all the fans there on match days, but you dont here no one complaining about that though do you?

That wee littlespace is a carpark???????

That is by no means a carpark in any sense of the word for a building that size - with the use that it will get.

Yes - i did notice that small patch of tarmac, you sarcastic monkey!

What upsets you so much about people speaking languages other than English? Do you have paranoia issues perchance? Ever travelled abroad? Speak fluent Spanish, French or Greek?

Has anybody ever hated you Harleykim, on account of something you couldn't change - your colour, your gender, your sexuality? Do you know how it feels? Do you care?

Well if I decided I wanted to live in France or Spain I would learn fluent French or Spanish. Learning the main language spoken in a country you move to is hardly something you cannot change is it?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

There have been meetings for people to discuss and share their views in terms of the design. Most people who donated also attended meetings to give their views and opinions.

Consider another situation where Person A has an extension built to his house. Person A will design his extension to the way he/she likes. Unfortunately Person A cannot guarantee that his design will be approved by all his neighbours, but he does know that most of his neighbours will understand that it was his/her money that was invested in to the extension so he/she can design it to the way he/she thinks best.

The same way the mosque has been designed to a style that majority of the donors (investors) approve. The mosque has taken into account all rules and standards set for new buildings.

Rather than complaining about the design now when its too late, get on with life, buy your Christmas/Eid presents and learn to respect and love one another.

Peace.

:)