Poll: New Heeley Mosque, what do you think?

What do you think of the new mosque  

619 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new mosque

• Like it
    • Dislike it
    • Don't really care

there are a lot of muslims in that area so why r u guys moaning and it does look nice, looks more desirable than the old mosque and you guys no it!!!

My problem isn't with Muslims or the architecture, as most people are saying, it the plastics domes that spoil it. It makes the towers look like giant sex aids!! It looks cheap and tacky.

I like it. It adds to a bland part of town. It's only because its islamic that people are moaning.

I think the fact its grotesque and looks like the elephant mans head is why people are moaning. The thing is awful

I suspect a lot of people who are moaning about this delightful building are infact using this as an excuse for a bit of muslim bashing.

No that is not true of me certainly.

Also, even if you do not mind the building i cannot see how anyone can describe it as delightful, unless you were brought up in toytown.

I suspect a lot of people who are moaning about this delightful building are infact using this as an excuse for a bit of muslim bashing.

How on earth is saying you think a building is ugly, muslim bashing? Do you seriously think we're that pathetic?

I suspect some people will object just because they are anti-muslim, but you'll find other threads on here complaining about ugly design in buildings that are totally secular in their use. That square block behind the Peace Gardens for instance.

People take a strong interest in the architecture of Sheffield. The good stuff gets praised and the ugly stuff slated.

its the colour i dont like - if its was just brick coloured i would like it.

Ugly, ugly, ugly totally incongrous with the rest of the area. When I think what problems I've had with planning for a basic extension and that was passed? Can't believe it.

Here we go :rolleyes:

Why does anything negative written about anything remotely related to Islam have to be labelled muslim bashing.

Comments like this are the very reason that people are afraid to speak openly and honestly about certain issues.

Here we go :rolleyes:

Why does anything negative written about anything remotely related to Islam have to be labelled muslim bashing.

Comments like this are the very reason that people are afraid to speak openly and honestly about certain issues.

I'll second that. Freedom of speech was one of the greatest attributes of this country and we are fast losing this privilege. Comments like that can only harm integration as they insinuate racism exists in a debate where it clearly doesn't. This is a debate about architecture and nothing else as far as I can see.

Does anyone have a photo of this alleged carbunkle? I havent seen it so can't comment. :confused:

At least the old mosque fitted in with the general area - this one is totally out of character. (snipped)

Pasty, with respect, you could not be more wrong.

I grew up round this area, my aunt lived opposiste the original building.

It was a drab, damp, mucky-looking, ugly old co-op shop. The original building was an absolute eyesore, even then. You cannot describe the dump that the original building as-was, as looking anything like part of the character of the area, it only added to its generally run-down look.

the new mosque is a stunning building.

The mosque, IMO, looks fantastic. There are some beautiful tiles with arabic calligraphy decorating the arches entrance near the citizen's advice bureau.

I certainly think it looks even prettier than sheffield's only other purpose-built mosque, near Balfour Road, Darnall.

It's going to be a great asset to the community, as not only is it going to be a place of worship where the Muslim community, generally, can come together, as well as the fact that it will be a centre that can be utilised by the area's population at large, with a community centre, and meeting and education facilites.

I fon't see why people have a problem with the "imposing" sense of the building, because, as someone has already pointed out, there are two huge church buildings within a couple of hundred yards of the mosque, as well as two other former church buildings (both Methodist) within about half a mile, (not counting other close-by church buildings such as which I'm sure were imposing edifices at the time they were constructed.

The mosque and community facilities are desperately needed in this area, especially as it looks like we are soon to lose some current community facilities, like the Highfield library, and both Sharrow schools, as all three are unable to be converted easily and economically enough to comply with DDA accessibility standards. (and it will be some time before the replacement buildings will be ready for use.)