Council workers only raffle. A sham ?

1st prize is a day off work for the lucky winner.

You mean they'll turn up at work just they always have, chat to their friends, have a couple of cups of tea them everyone in the office, discusses, debates then puts up the Christmas decorations for two days.

Bunch of work shy salad dodgers who couldn't command anywhere near the same salary in the private sector.

Four men were bragging about how smart their dogs are.

The first man was an engineer, the second was an accountant, the third a chemist, and the fourth was a Sheffield City Council Officer.

To show off, the engineer called to his dog. "T-Square, do your stuff." T-Square trotted over to the desk, took out some paper and promptly drew a circle, a square, and a triangle. Everyone agreed that was pretty smart.

But the accountant said his dog could do better. He called his dog and said, "Spreadsheet, do your stuff." Spreadsheet went out into the kitchen and returned with a dozen cookies. He divided them into four equal piles of three cookies each. Everyone agreed that was good.

But the chemist said his dog could do better. He called his dog and said, "Measure, do your stuff." Measure got up, walked over to the fridge, took out a quart of milk, got a 10 ounce glass from the cupboard and poured exactly 8 ounces without spilling a drop! Everyone agreed that was good.

Then the three men turned to the government worker, and said, "What can your dog do?"

The Sheffeild City Council Officer called to his dog and said, "Coffee Break, "do your stuff." Coffee Break slowly got on his feet, ate the cookies, drank the milk, cra*ped on the paper, s*xually assaulted the other three dogs, claimed he injured his back while doing so, filed a grievance report for unsafe working conditions, put in for workers' compensation, and went home for the rest of the day on sick leave

You mean they'll turn up at work just they always have, chat to their friends, have a couple of cups of tea them everyone in the office, discusses, debates then puts up the Christmas decorations for two days.

I take it you've got issues with SCC employees?! Don't hold back! Tell us more!

CM x

I take it you've got issues with SCC employees?! Don't hold back! Tell us more!

CM x

I worked there for two years.

It is so over resourced its untrue. Why employ one person to do one persons work when three people will do. The more time I spend in the Private Sector, working in the same field the more I realise how much your Council Tax is wasted. I see it happening nation wide, but not to the same degree. I went to a meeting today to ask some one for three documents I needed to write a report. Normally I would send an email requesting a the three documents, but the Regional Development Agency and the Local Council wanted to meet to discuss this. (the meeting was 100 miles away from my office.) The Council brough 2 members of staff, the RDA 3 people, all of whom must be earning good money. The meeting took 90 minutes and was centred around me asking for three documents I knew I needed before I turned up. Absolutely pointless and utter waste of resources. They actually wanted to stretch the meeting out further so they could go home afterwards.

I've been to similar meetings on the other side of the fence where SCC have brough 5 people to an even more pointless meeting, much to the surprise of the Consultant we were working with.

We used to have staff meeting where we would discuss xmas decorations and how large the 'new decorations' budget was, followed by a discussion about whether the toilet seat should be left up or down, followed by a discusion about the mirror in the disabled toilet (this was an issue because the disabled toilet was nearer to the office and all the obese Council Officers refused to walk up a flight of stairs to use the actual ladies toilets.

When I started work my job was to type 12 page application forms into a word document then save them on the system. In theory it would take a day to do three. However the documents submitted to us had been typed by the applicant, so on my second day I suggested that it might be more efficient if the applicant emailed their version to us, thus preventing duplication of effort. This effectively ended my reason for employment.

On my third day slighly short of work to do by this point I wrote a letter to a client on behalf of my manager. My middle manager took it off me and took it to the manager. (couldn't approach the team manager myself but had to do it through an intermediary even though she sat ten metres away) When I got the letter back the Team manager had altered my grammer, I found this odd as I can actually write letters. I entered the 'improved' text into my letter in the word document and the green sqiggely grammer lines appeared under all the text ammended by my line manager.

The letter went back and forth (through the intermediary) and eventually got sent out in its original form.

What a f*cking waste of time by a bunch of self obsesed imbaciles. The other two people involved are earning £45k and £30k pa. Your money down the drain.

I see what you're saying, and agree that many of the decisions in the public sector are dubious.

However, I've also worked in the voluntary sector, where the money comes from charitable donations, and have seen even more waste of money. And the private sector is hardly frugal (fat cats et al).

Swings and roundabouts.

Some of us who work for the Council work damn hard (though some admittedly do not...).

In any case, I will sell the tickets only to hard workin peeps. They will have to prove their case before getting a ticket! (or make me a brew, I'm easily bought ;) )

Chicken Monkey

There is an important issue here, though.

Is the employer, SCC, authorising a paid day's holiday for the winner?

Is the winner just to take an unpaid day off and be reimbursed by the prize fund?

Does the winner turn up for work as usual but do no work?

How does this work? Are we (council tax payers) paying for this prize?

(as asked by 'whatif wewin' above)

Is the winner just to take an unpaid day off and be reimbursed by the prize fund?

I think the answers are:

No

Yes

Only if they are really sad and have no life, surely?

The tickets sold pay for the prize so...

No

Oh ace......another thread to have a pop at the Council on. :rolleyes:

Oh ace......another thread to have a pop at the Council on. :rolleyes:
There can never be too many.

Actually, the OP was complaining because council taxpayers are NOT paying for the prize. He seems to think we should have donated it.

There can never be too many.

But in this case there doesn't appear, to me, to be much to have a go at them for. They're just having a raffle for their employees like many other employers do.

But in this case there doesn't appear, to me, to be much to have a go at them for. They're just having a raffle for their employees like many other employers do.
That's true, they are having a go for the sake of it in this instance but it does lead to interesting posts like Dylan61s reminding us what an inefficient organisation they are.

I'm surprised that in the name of political corrrectness they don't let everyone win and have the day off and then no one will be stressed at being a loser in this raffle..

Thanks for answering my question. I think that it is clear now.

Do you think that they have taken out insurance in case Sir Bob wins? :)