Farepack - any sympathy?

The other things are getting reported.

Daily in bright technocolour, on the front page, in paliament and in general conversation - perhaps get Walter Kronkite over from the US to do his report - that usually does the trick.

This thread had all the hallmarks of a rant, the system is not for me but I defend anyones decision to enter into any legitimate agreement of their choice. However we now have a government that intends to regulate every aspect of our lives, how did it manage to miss this one, poor disadvantaged people etc; etc;?

Just because some people are crap with money does not mean that they deserve to be exploited. Yes I feel sorry for them, just as I would feel sorry for someone who had put a hefty cash deposit on a new three piece suite only to find the supplier had gone bust prior to delivery.

The problem appears to be that these people don't trust themselves with their own money and felt comfortable in the now unfouded certainty that Christmas would be paid for. They were so unsure of their own ability to handle the funds that they felt happier being paid out in vouchers.

Is it beyond all comprehension that the Co-op, Tesco or the like could set up a bonded savings scheme to secure a pleasant Christmas for folk that don't quite function like the rest of us?

Is it beyond all comprehension that the Co-op, Tesco or the like could set up a bonded savings scheme to secure a pleasant Christmas for folk that don't quite function like the rest of us?

Plenty of shops have Christmas funds.

Plenty of shops have Christmas funds.

I don't intend to be scarcastic here but who are they? I don't make shopping a hobby but when I have been doing the dreaded thing I have never noticed any advertising in respect of Christmas funds.

Is it that if (and I am sure that you are right) these funds are available that these folk would not get off of their backsides to go and pay into them, if so I am losing my sympathy.

Is it that if (and I am sure that you are right) these funds are available that these folk would not get off of their backsides to go and pay into them, if so I am losing my sympathy.

Maybe they don't trust their local shop. If that's the case they don't trust themselves or their local shop but ironically trust a big faceless company.

Unfortunately that is a symptom of stupidity whatever anyone might say and I sympathise for them for being stupid because that isn't always cureable. This experience may however make them less stupid but that's not definate.

Maybe they don't trust their local shop.

Farepack may be the largest, but they are certainly not the first (and will not be the last) to run off with the Christmas Club money.

We hear about it every year.

whether you sympathise or not ,they have the right to save how they see fit.

would you feel better if they had invested £1500 in share for a dot.com company that went tits up & they lost everything? you'd just blame them for being greedy.

some people have only small amounts to spare - lots of companies don't accept small amounts. try opening a current account with a quid.

don't forget the prolific amounts saved were usually for vouchers, to be spent @ Argos etc etc, not just on hampers of food, so they could include a new freezer for the house or a new tv (some people do see christmas in that way).

Farepack may be the largest, but they are certainly not the first (and will not be the last) to run off with the Christmas Club money.

We hear about it every year.

Arthur Fowler... say no more :hihi:

I'll tell you how I dare (didn't take long for the lentil-munchers to respond).

This is WHY these people are poor! Because they have no idea how to manage money! (Difficult, I know when no doubt there'll be six kids somewhere in the background).

These are the people who get ripped off at Bright House. Buy milk tokens. Buy TV licence stamps at a quid a week. They're not just poor. They're thick.

thick !!!! lmfao you idiot

they plan a year ahead of time !!!! do you?

the people who i know who lost money are from middle class backgrounds and do not claim benefits but so bloody what if they do !!!! they cost less to the system than tax credits

you do not buy milk tokens they are given to families for CHILDREN who are the highest group in society who live in poverty

And if you are on benefits Brighthouse do not give you credit !!! so only poor people pretending to be rich because they work are stupid enough to go there and why !!!! because there thick !!

because there thick !!

....:suspect:

What got me, what really annoyed me, was some woman on TV the other day, after being told that companies and individuals had GENEROUSLY donated £6 million of their own money, said she was very dissapointed that there was only enough to pay back 15p of every pound she saved. The ungrateful idiot. Personally, I do feel sorry for people who've lost money, but not sorry enough to give them some of mine.

At the end of the day they've lost money, and their Christmas won't be as much fun as they planned, but at least nobody's died and they've not lost their homes. There will be many people in a much worse position than them, that's where my charity donations will go, and some people would do well to remember that.

Well you two are full of the festive spirit. Good will to all men providing they're not poorer than me eh?

This savings club primarily used by poor families (sorry, the benefit brigade :rolleyes: ) went bust and many people lost hundreds of pounds which may not be much to a snob like you but is a massive blow to low income families.

How dare you?

well said!