Surestart seem to have misplaced Christmas

So is it Xmas or Christmas? If you're gonna get all high and mighty about folks changing the name of "your" festival at least call it Christmas or you might just come across a little hypocritical. The holiday you so love is a crass celebration of drinking, spending and loafing. If you really want to celebrate the birth of a prophet go to church and have a good old pray.

Oh please, I don't care if it's Xmas or Christmas, it means the same thing and there is a difference between caring about that and caring if Christmas/Xmas is disregarded. I don't care for the petty mind games, I have a bigger point which I've tried to stick to.

I know that the thread, over it's lifetime has varied because people have queried many aspects of my concern, which is fine, but the base point has never wavered. I'd prefer not to wander down the path of the puritan on abbreviations.

Funky Gibbon, I have mentioned that I no longer have any issue with Surestart and my only point ever was the way they had marketed the local events and what they were doing as a result.

I realise that the thread is now somewhat misleading but from my point of view the connection is spot on. Perhaps I could have begun another thread and put this one as a link and I'd have no objection to doing that either if anyone wants to make that change, I can't this part of the forum is not my area.

It's a shame that you feel that there is only one Christian in Sheffield - there are thousands and millions nationwide - I'm not talking about the 'oh, I'm CofE but haven't seen the inside of a church since school' either - It's a very important festival for many, and one that doesn't rely on overspending or over drinking either... I do feel quite sorry for you that you think that way - go to Mass and experience a little of the faiths power for yourself - you sound like you need it more than most!

Are you taking the ****? Do you understand anything that goes on in this world? Or will your god guide you through? Don't feel sorry for me, I don't need it and many others do need sympathy especially during the harder winter months. I'm as happy as the proverbial Larry and I don't feel the need to cover up my insecurities by preaching to strangers.

Get out there and live a little eh.

Edited by Hecate
fixed quote tags.

Threads like this make me laugh.

Out here, in a mostly Muslim country, no one gives a rats. They bung Christmas stuff up in all the malls and so on just as they do in the UK and, guess what? no complains at all from Muslims or any bugger else.

If Surestart are missing out Christmas so as not to upset other religions they are misguided and, maybe, stupid.

If Surestart are missing out Christmas so as not to upset other religions they are misguided and, maybe, stupid.

*sigh* :suspect:

See above.

We should all rename Eid as the Other Culture Festival and see how long that lasts.

..I'm assuming that would be your suggestion is based on 'Christmas' being rebranded? Which of course it hasn't. I dont celebrate Eid, dont even know when it is, so why should we non Muslims have any interest in what it's called since we dont observe it?

MOD: Closing this thread as the original premise on which it was based has been discounted. If people wish to start a new thread about "They're banning Christmas" then feel free to do so.