Surestart seem to have misplaced Christmas

The very same newsletter came through your door today then.

And you undoubtedly can see the large letters which say Winter Celebration with a snowman, a wreath with a bow and the list of venues. Sunny Valley is at the church on Blackstock Rd btw.

Jellytots - the parent/carer and child group I run in Sheffield City Centre is having a CHRISTMAS party on Wed 13th at 1pm and everyone is welcome.

We have a tree and gifts and probably a Father Christmas, we're also having food and I might bring a Christmassy CD in too.

It is the same - did not notice the Sunny Valley bit, bad design.

Did not know this was at the church, and from this newsletter how would you tell? Why not put it is at the church, the only church I know on Blackstock Road is Gleadless Valley Methodist (GVM) just two minutes walk away, but had no idea they had a group called Sunny Valley.

My wife does some volunteering for this Sure Start and she didn't know where Sunny Valley was either and she did her Breastfeeding Peer Suppot course (for Sure Start) at GVM

Yeah - as I said on a previous response, it's aimed at people who already attend SureStart groups, not a marketing tool and the predominant people in the area and who attend Sunny Valley are white British and Christian or at least celebrants of Christmas.

So why call it Winter Celebration?

Yeah - as I said on a previous response, it's aimed at people who already attend SureStart groups, not a marketing tool and the predominant people in the area and who attend Sunny Valley are white British and Christian or at least celebrants of Christmas.

So why call it Winter Celebration?

Like I said my wife volunteers for some of Sure Starts schemes and she had no idea of Sunny Valley and we live one bus stop away, so we would not have gone as we had no idea where it is. Even though it is targeted to a mailing list it is still a marketing tool, as it is clearly marketing the event plus courses and groups in the area.

Not sure the people round here are all Christian and not all celebrate "Christmas".

There is a sizeable Jehovah Witness population round here and they don't recognise Christmas. They would not be offended by a Christmas party, they would just think they were wrong (as in incorrect belief) and not attend and would discourage other JW members to not attend.

Not meaning to be rude but I did say predominant.

Mind you, that applies nationwide anyway.

Still we all learn something new each day.

I realise there's lots of other faiths, we get a lot of JW at our door.

In terms of local provision there is the Methodist and the Anglican on Leighton Rd (or parallel at least) plus the one at Norton which gets some of the top of Blackstock and there are two at Gleadless Townend so Christianity is still strong locally I think.

No offence meant though Jubby, we're on the same side I just tend to explain for those who don't live locally and read the thread.

Well, the Surestart guy got a bit upset didn't he?

I wish I could have said more, but never mind, the point is made.

Didn't hear your bit on the radio Zebra but heard the Surestart fellow. He did get a bit ratty when Antonia said she found it all annoying, didn't he?

Yes I combed the post for a description of how the Surestart programme was forcing people to not celebrate christmas.

Still looking, you say it's in there somewhere?

Indeed LHarman - Season's Greetings to you!

I hope you enjoy this festive season as much as I intend to. And yes, bring on the sprouts! (the 4 Bs - brussels with butter, bacon and black pepper)

It's fairly obvious that sure start have renamed what wpould traditionally be christmas celebrations, winter celebrations in the same way that SCC have renamed what would traditionally be the christmas lights, winter lights.

If you can't accept that, then you are being deliberatly obtuse, which is akin to trolling.

Well, the Surestart guy got a bit upset didn't he?

I wish I could have said more, but never mind, the point is made.

What time were you on?

I'll see if I can find you on 'Listen Again'.

Got it.

Go HERE and fast forward to 1 hour into the show.

The interview starts about 1:03:50 into the recording.

(This link will only work for today - the "listen again" bit gets updated daily)

It was 7.33 ish. Ahh yes I see the link above.

I wish I'd been able to say more but they had questions for me to answer, they gave enough of an intro so I didn't need to get going with it all.

I would have liked to reply to the guy too but I couldn't.

I wish I'd been able to say more but they had questions for me to answer, they gave enough of an intro so I didn't need to get going with it all.

I don't think you needed to....he sounded like a bumptious fool.

Didn't hear your bit on the radio Zebra but heard the Surestart fellow. He did get a bit ratty when Antonia said she found it all annoying, didn't he?

To be honest I thought Antonia was a little rude and not very unbiased for a radio interviewer. She found it "irritating" and the tone in her voice was a little too "you are boring me and annoying me". I thought he tried to answer her questions quite well until she became rude.

What was that fella'a name Zebra?, I'd like to write and voice my objections.