Sign in to follow this  

Endcliffe Crescent - once an arcadian landscape

Now an ugly building site.

I was inspired to go there for a look after reading the Pevsner architectural guide to Sheffield which says -

"Endcliffe - A tour of this area should begin in Endcliffe Crescent, an arcadian landscape of villas grouped informally around a large irregular green."

I had a look on Google Earth and sure enough there was a large green there, so I went for a look and found it's now being built on by the university and pretty well destroyed. The half of the green not a building site is now a car park. How did they get permission to do this?

So what did it look like before, does anyone remember?

File not found.

This thread also needs pictures and/or a link to google maps /w post code so we can see.

Ah, thank you. Fair ways off from where I used to live at Greystones then.

This forum sucks sometimes from the lack of being able to post pictures.

I only just came across this thread, hence the gap. The present state of the green is down to the building of the new student village, and the developers have promised, cross my heart and hope to die, to restore it when they've finished. Apparently before the Upper Hallam Enclosures Act of 1791 it was part of the Crookesmoor racecourse. At the Fulwood Rd side was a raised flat area, which was supposed to be the site of the grandstand. I bet that doesn't get restored! Under the Act the land was enclosed and split up, and a little later the racecourse at Lodge Moor was built, supposedly as a replacement but it only lasted a couple of years, being too far from town.

Yeah, you told me to go have a squee at it. I did..... in the dark.... and it looked okay! Couldn't see owt, like.